Sun Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaffphine

Reaction score
Being of a younger generation, I first heard of Cousteau's Sea Hunt by divers citing it why they started. When was this show on? Anyone know where I could find some tape?

-Jess

I feel soooo old - but this is probably more than you wanted to know:
http://www.mnsi.net/~bjackson/
It was in re-runs when I watched it as a kid. I never expected that I would actually scuba dive like Mike Nelson...but this was before man walked on the moon, so go figure.:wink:

Back in the '60's when I saw the shows that we mention. I would think that your local video store would have some means of obtaining these shows on tape. You might need to talk to the person who orders the tapes and DVD's etc.

the Cousteau program was "The Underwater World of Jaques Cousteau"

that should be The Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau.

Cheating a little with Kelpmermaids link - 1958 for the pilot and reruns well into the late 60's to keep us inspired with Lloyd Bridges as Mike Nelson in Sea Hunt

Then pause a few years - and "The Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau" seemed to run forever [70's & 80's?]! - - Anybody got a similar link for that one?

The series "The Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau" started in 1968 although I think there had been several 'Specials' before that.

I can remember sitting on the floor in front of the B&W TV on saturday mornings watching Sea Hunt. How many of you tried to see how long you could hold your breath? :) This was before I started school so it had to be before 1960.

There was a documentary about Lloyd Bridges and his roll as Mike Nelson a few years ago. His stunt man was explaining how alot of those underwater fights were done. Remember how, on every show, his air hose would get cut? The stuntman explained that, Yes they really did cut hoses, it was always the exhaust hose that was cut!

Sea Hunt made me aware that there was alot going on underwater but it was Jacques Cousteau who made me love the marine environment.

So eloquently stated elderstateswoman Dee.

I also remember watching the B&W Sea Hunt series on our brand new, circular screen Philco B&W TV. Yikes !!!

And Cousteau's series I didn't get a chance to start watching until in the 70s (I was sailing the high seas) but it is possible that they came on in the late 60's.

And although they were entertaining they did not light my fire for diving, drats.

One of my dive buddies read in a magazine that the opening sequence of Sea Hunt was filmed in Catalina, and that it was a really cool dive. So, we picked up a tape at our LDS; someone had sent him a dozen episodes, or so, and we got together and watched them. We were all confused, 'cause all I saw on the opening sequence was Lloyd Bridges putting on his mask; no swimming. And the credits said it was filmed entirely in Nassau. We watched half a dozen episodes. Mike Nelson rules!

At the Beneath the Sea Seminar with Zale (sp?), one of the show's actresses, she mentioned that all the episodes of Sea Hunt have been purchased by Ted Turner. No word on what he plans to do with them yet though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom