Summer events?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there some sort of calendar or schedule for events in the Colorado area? A buddy of mine was wearing a SB tee shirt and said he got it at some event at Chatfield Res... just interested!

Is there some sort of calendar or schedule for events in the Colorado area? A buddy of mine was wearing a SB tee shirt and said he got it at some event at Chatfield Res... just interested!

Stay tuned! :D

Once things grow nearer, we will be posting some diving, our annual RMO picnic, location TBD, but usually at Aurora, and other events like the CO dive retailers Annual show (also at Aurora). We also schedule diving at the BH, New Mexico, and I will likely plan the next trip for Feb.

Also check out the Shark Bait Dive Club. They generally don't schedule much diving locally, but they offer some very cool destination trips, and meet monthly.

Not sure where anyone got a SB tee at Chatfield, maybe he got it during the First Annual CO. Scuba retail association event at Aurora.

You can also buy shirts online.

Nothing specific yet, but I'd like to check out Flaming Gorge and Lake Powell. I'm not sure how good Powell would be, but I already have a houseboat there, so I'm looking to do some diving.

I'm hoping to have a small compressor by then, since there is no air nearby (the northern part) of Lake Powell.

Rick,
Some friends who have been diving in Lake Powell say that early in the year (May)is the best viz. I haven't been there myself.
Frank

Rick,
Some friends who have been diving in Lake Powell say that early in the year (May)is the best viz. I haven't been there myself.
Frank
I've dove in Powell several times and would agree that May is the best time. Generally less boat traffic, run off has slowed and water temp is tolerable. I like to dive the Cathedral Canyon or Lost Canyon. Not much to really see if you dive off the main channel unless you like wall dives that go into a black abyss. :blinking: Lots of goodies to be found if you're looking.
Flaming Gorge is loads of fun also. Here is a good link for the 'Gorge' Been on this 'tour' that Scott Gudmundsen mentions several times. Read about the dive down the river below that dam. Grins and giggles but not for the novice.

I've dove in Powell several times and would agree that May is the best time. Generally less boat traffic, run off has slowed and water temp is tolerable. I like to dive the Cathedral Canyon or Lost Canyon. Not much to really see if you dive off the main channel unless you like wall dives that go into a black abyss. :blinking: Lots of goodies to be found if you're looking.
Flaming Gorge is loads of fun also. Here is a good link for the 'Gorge' Been on this 'tour' that Scott Gudmundsen mentions several times. Read about the dive down the river below that dam. Grins and giggles but not for the novice.

This is counter intuitive to me. I’m usually at Lake Powell over Memorial Day weekend, and the water is usually rising quite a bit and there is usually quite a bit of driftwood floating around as the lake is rising. I would have thought that would be a bad time. But, I’m considering the main channel. I guess the canyons might not be the same. I don’t have my charts with me, but I think Cathedral Canyon is below Rainbow Bridge. I usually don’t get that far since the house boat is moored at Bullfrog. I’m not quite sure where Lost Canyon is. I think Lost Eden Canyon is just south of Hall’s Creek Bay, but not sure that’s the one you’re referring to.

I just looked at the calendar, and I have a week (the houseboat is a partnership) in mid-April (probably too cold) and the week before Memorial Weekend. I will be down there for Memorial weekend anyway (I help patrol the lake on holiday weekends) so maybe going down a few days earlier might work? The next week I have is right after July 4th.

I haven’t been to Flaming Gorge since the family started going to Lake Powell in 1970. Mom wouldn’t let us go back to Flaming Gorge after a few bear attacks (not on people, just food in the campsite – but with 3 little kids, she didn’t want to take any chances). I didn’t even think of diving there until some other RMO’s mentioned it last summer, and I checked out some of the websites. Looks like it could be fun!

We'll have to see if there is enough interest to put a trip toghether.

I'll find out where he got his tshirt more specifically. My deal is that I want to know what is going on this coming summer and meet some of the avatars I've been looking at!

If you are referring to twebba, and it was a cool blue shirt, then we both got them at the retailer thing at aurora res from howarde.

I know my buddy lurks here on SB, not sure what his login name is. We do a couple of DM tests tonight, I'll ask him about it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom