Summary of our God's Pocket Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here are the links to most of my haul. Try to get up there if you love cold-water diving. It's spectacular and one-of-a-kind.

Too many photos for Scubabord so please check out these links.
God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part I. The Magic Continues God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part I. The Magic Continues.

God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part II. Colors God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part II. Colors

God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part III. The Trouble with Crabs God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part III. The Trouble with Crabs.

God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part IV. Nudibranchs God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part IV. Nudibranchs

Impressive photos of often small and captivating subject matter. If anyone's wondering, those links are worth clicking & scrolling through. Although how anybody saw a heart crab & came up with that name...yeah, I saw the 'pattern' on it's back, but not convincing!

Since that area is not all that close to you (i.e.: you have to travel to get there, much like to a warm water destination), what led you to go there? Were you trying it for the 1st time, or was it so good you pick it over options for repeat trips?

Richard.

Superb photos. Thanks.

Great pictures. What was the water temp? How many dives did you do a day?
Temperature ranged from 47 - 51 degrees with no thermocline. Dang cold, but worth it. In 7 dive days we did 20 dives. It's a 3-dive day with the option to dive at night in the bay. The owners at God's Pocket run a tight ship. It's really a once in a lifetime experience.

Impressive photos of often small and captivating subject matter. If anyone's wondering, those links are worth clicking & scrolling through. Although how anybody saw a heart crab & came up with that name...yeah, I saw the 'pattern' on it's back, but not convincing!

Since that area is not all that close to you (i.e.: you have to travel to get there, much like to a warm water destination), what led you to go there? Were you trying it for the 1st time, or was it so good you pick it over options for repeat trips?

Richard.

LOL on the crab comment. Phil (Max Bottomtime) yearned to dive British Columbia for decades, and all the reports we read from God's Pocket / Browning Pass were stellar. We first dove that area from the Nautilis Swell before it was sold and went nuts over the marine life. So, yes, we've chosen God's Pocket over anything else for our annual dive vacation and have been there twice.

We've already signed up at GP for August 2017 and 2018 because the spots fill up fast.
Merry

Could you tell us a little about your camera light setup? It seems you must have great lighting to bring out the brilliant colors and details.

Here are the links to most of my haul. Try to get up there if you love cold-water diving. It's spectacular and one-of-a-kind.

Too many photos for Scubabord so please check out these links.
God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part I. The Magic Continues God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part I. The Magic Continues.

God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part II. Colors God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part II. Colors

God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part III. The Trouble with Crabs God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part III. The Trouble with Crabs.

God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part IV. Nudibranchs God's Pocket, British Columbia, Part IV. Nudibranchs
Awesome pictures. I leave on Thursday for a week with Bill and Annie

Thanks @Merry ... It is on our list! We had wanted to go on the Swell but alas it sold. I have heard great things about Gods Pocket so we will just have to get out butts up there. Is there much current? or surge?

Could you tell us a little about your camera light setup? It seems you must have great lighting to bring out the brilliant colors and details.
We both use dual Ikelite DS161 strobes. We have to vary strobe position according to what the subject is and whether we're shooting close-up or wide-angle. Trying to get the lighting right makes us tear-out our hair. If we ever figure out the secret, I'll let you know. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom