Sumatra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregorio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

Done a search but I like to see if there are new info.

I will go and spend some time in Sumatra probably in march/april/may.

Where can I dive?
What are the recomended dive operations?

Thanks for the infos,
Teri makasi!

Do a search for Pulau Weh (famous), Mentawai (more famous for surfing but diving is pristine I am told) and Krakatau.... Those are the only places with diving that I know of over there (although Krakatau, near the southern tip, is usually dived from West Java.

Where is your destination ? Sumatra is big island - transportaion is not very good; and not all cities are conneceted by direct flights. If you stay in Banda Aceh then you can cross to Pulau Weh by ferry. But if you stay in southern side like lampung, long journey to Pulau Weh; but you can easily reach dive sites at sunda straits (krakatau, tempurung, shangyang and ujung kulon).

Hi all!

Done a search but I like to see if there are new info.

I will go and spend some time in Sumatra probably in march/april/may.

Where can I dive?
What are the recomended dive operations?

Thanks for the infos,
Teri makasi!

I read in an Indonesian dive forum that there are a few great dive sites to be reached from Lampung, but I haven't had the chance yet to dive there myself.

Just as a side note - it's 'terima kasih'.

Enjoy your trip!!

Just as a side note - it's 'terima kasih'.
Tetapi anda mengerti dia, benar? :)

Gregorio, if you are also spending a fair amount of dry time, make sure you go to Bukit Tinggi as well as Lake Toba.

Lampung is located in southern part of Sumatra - 5 hours to Jakarta (2 hours ferry + 3 hours by car). Indeed there's few dive site in Lampung but the coral not very healthy. For Krakatau, Shangyang, Tempurung and ujung Kulon national park (better than Lampung - somebody from Planet Diving claimmed there's dive site in ujung kulon which is comparable with Raja Ampat (???) difficult to believe) - I recommend to stay in Anyer / Carita, lot of choice of accomodation from budget to five stars (can be very crowded during weekend).
Pulau Weh is located far away in the north. I am not sure if any direct flight from Lampung to Aceh; probably you've to go to Jakarta first. Jakarta - Aceh is almost 3 hours by flight. Recommended to stay in P. Weh if your main purpose is diving only.
P. Nias is more popular for surfing than diving - I have no information for diving there.

Tetapi anda mengerti dia, benar? :)

Tentu saja, bang Zippsy! :D:D
That's why I put it as a 'side note'....
-- and I even got thanked for it :eyebrow: heyhey.....
:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom