Suit Questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Barbados in August and wondering what type of wetsuit I should get for the trip. I went to Hawaii a few months ago and dove in a 3mm shorty in 74Ž°F water on a boat trip. On the 2nd dive I was just a little cold. The next day I did 2 shore dives with a full 3mm suit and everything was great with 74Ž°F water.

Now for Barbados the people that are going are getting 3mm shorties. I am wondering if that would be enough to keep warm. I have never been there and they say the water will be about 84Ž°F and I should be fine. My LDS says they can make me a custom 3mm shorty for $100. But I am wondering if a full suit might be better?

This is an actual dive trip with many days of multiple dives and I don't want to get cold or bake.

Okay, why would you need a a custom Shorty? I dive all over and in 84 degree water I would dive anything from a 3 MM, but prob would dive my 1mm full suit. Shortys are nice but I prefer the protection of the 1mm wetsuit on my legs and such from Jellies and coral when swim throughs.

I got my 1 mm at Tommydsports.com around 30.00, it is nice and light and great to travel with.

Joe

A custom shorty was just an option. Most of the shortys my size are about $75, so $100 was not a big leap and it would fit perfect.

I took a quick look at the site you mentioned. I did find the 1mm suits. But they did not have the fat guy size in 1mm only 3mm. Which would still be $70-$80 for a full suit + about $12 shipping. That brings it close to the $100 custom.

I did just find a purple/black 1mm for under $40...... Hmm I will have to think about this....

Thanks for the link.

Multiple dives over multiple days is a good reason to go with "more rather than less"

Personally I'd go with a 3mm full suit. Very little risk of being too warm, plus you'll have protection from the aforementioned jellies, coral scrapes, etc.

I'd go with the 3mm full too. You can always unzip a little if you get too warm or vent some cold water in through the neck.

I don't do a lot of warm water diving but when I do, I wear a 1mm full, I rarely get cold. I wore a shortie once and got too scraped up.

stick with the 3mm that you have and leave the zipper open, you'll save money to tip your divemaster with and keep all the environmental protection that the full suit offers.

if you are really too warm, take the suit off for one dive and you cool off nicely.

stick with the 3mm that you have and leave the zipper open, you'll save money to tip your divemaster with and keep all the environmental protection that the full suit offers.

if you are really too warm, take the suit off for one dive and you cool off nicely.

I currently own a full 7mm. Both suits in Hawaii were rentals. So I am laning towars a full 3mm.

Back
Top Bottom