suit for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
What thickness of suit do I need to dive in Bonaire???-I'm thinking about getting a shortie. I dive Cozumel in my Speedo(I was younger and bolder) so I thought that I would use a 3ml. shortie this time.
Sound reasonable??

Mike

In my five (or is it six) trips to Bonaire, the water temperature was always between 78 and 81 degrees F. For me, that's a .5 mil - if you're susceptable to getting cold easier than most folks then a 3 mil should be fine. I found that diving just a skin was ok for one dive, but I'd get cold on dive two or three.
Rick

I agree with Rick, I find a skin is fine for the first dive but after a few dives, esp night dives, I find I need a bit more. I use a Polar tech type skin (nylon shell with a fuzzy lining) which does the job AND it is full length provides sun burn and sting protection.

"Cold" is a very subjective term! One person can dive in 81F water in a T-Shirt & trunks, while their buddy needs 1/8" (about 3mm). It all depends on YOUR personal tolerance for cold.

We were in Bonaire about 3 weeks ago. Water temps were about 80F during the day. I always wore my full 1/8" because dammit I get cold! :wink: OTOH, Jeff (Pearce's son) claimed to be fine in shorts & a T-Shirt. (Pearce also wore his full 1/8" and Jeff's wife Sandrine wore one of my older full 1/8".)

No matter what thickness, full body protection is a good idea if you are diving in an area with lots of surge or other sites where there may be the possibility of getting scratched by the coral. (Yes, this can happen even to the people with the best bouyancy control.)

Just my opinion, of course. :)

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom