Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You wonder how nobody noticed how much of a total CF everything had become long before the actual event.

Realizing you are in the early stages of a CF, especially as a newcomer in training, is the challenge.

When I was in a very early stage of Navy flight training, some wise instructor said to me once: when you're at the end of the runway feeling rushed to get through your takeoff checklist, and the tower says "cleared for immediate takeoff" or "if you can expedite, you are cleared for immediate takeoff", the answer is "unable", set the parking brake, take 5 deep breaths, and start the checklist over.

Realizing you are in the early stages of a CF, especially as a newcomer in training, is the challenge.

When I was in a very early stage of Navy flight training, some wise instructor said to me once: when you're at the end of the runway feeling rushed to get through your takeoff checklist, and the tower says "cleared for immediate takeoff" or "if you can expedite, you are cleared for immediate takeoff", the answer is "unable", set the parking brake, take 5 deep breaths, and start the checklist over.
Of less critical speed at which bad things happen, reactor pre-critical checks are much the same. There are no fast ways to start the reactor plant.

I’ve sometimes been amazed at how many layers of fail there are leading up to an event. You wonder how nobody noticed how much of a total CF everything had become long before the actual event.
Who would notice? There were only students, one shop employee who wasn't a certified assistant, and the instructor. It sounds all rushed, and understandably (and unfortunately) all were following the instructors instructions.

Way too much trust is placed on instructors when the bar to becoming one is so low. Been there, done that when I started diving.

There was some discussion earlier about PADI Quality Assurance and why the shop was still teaching PADI scuba after their earlier fatality. It seems that Mr. Hornsby thinks that PADI has no QA Program.

17. The “PADI” mark and PADI logos and certifications are not designed to serve as a guarantee or assurance by PADI Worldwide of any PADI member’s competence or adherence to PADI safety standards, and PADI Worldwide has never represented to anyone that they are
designed to serve as such a guarantee or assurance by PADI Worldwide.

18. PADI Worldwide has never claimed or represented to divers that PADI Worldwide has a comprehensive monitoring system to ensure all of its certified instructors comply with PADI safety standards.”

Attachments

• 15-5 Hornsby Dec PADI Corp Structure.pdf
    420.7 KB · Views: 88
Hmmm. The same declaration states:

While the PADI membership agreement is with PADI Worldwide, regional PADI entities, rather than PADI Worldwide, administer PADI membership.

and

For example, PADI membership in the U.S. states and territories, including CNMI, is administered by PADI Americas, Inc. (“PADI America”), another Defendant in the above-captioned lawsuit.

He's denying a QA system at PADI Worldwide, but his written declaration is silent about the subject with regard to "regional PADI entities" in general or PADI America specifically.

It's difficult to read this thread. A young life was lost. Think about that for a moment.

Hmmm. The same declaration states:

While the PADI membership agreement is with PADI Worldwide, regional PADI entities, rather than PADI Worldwide, administer PADI membership.

and

For example, PADI membership in the U.S. states and territories, including CNMI, is administered by PADI Americas, Inc. (“PADI America”), another Defendant in the above-captioned lawsuit.

He's denying a QA system at PADI Worldwide, but his written declaration is silent about the subject with regard to "regional PADI entities" in general or PADI America specifically.
Yes. The deposition was in another country

I'm just trying to figure out if there is some benefit to defending PADI Worldwide on that issue and not defending PADI America, declared in this declaration to be another Defendant.

The Expelled Individual Pros webpage (Expelled PADI Professionals | PADI) has a statement
If you have any questions about an individual listed, please contact the Quality Management Department at a PADI Regional Headquarters.
and that same website has a statement description of the PADI Quality Management Program.

So, just wondering if the distinction is that a Quality Management program may exist in the regional entities, but not at PADI Worldwide who, presumably, owns "the mark" and "logos and certifications". Maybe they have different liability insurers or different liability limits at the international level than the regional level.

I'm just trying to figure out if there is some benefit to defending PADI Worldwide on that issue and not defending PADI America, declared in this declaration to be another Defendant.

The Expelled Individual Pros webpage (Expelled PADI Professionals | PADI) has a statement
If you have any questions about an individual listed, please contact the Quality Management Department at a PADI Regional Headquarters.
and that same website has a statement description of the PADI Quality Management Program.

So, just wondering if the distinction is that a Quality Management program may exist in the regional entities, but not at PADI Worldwide who, presumably, owns "the mark" and "logos and certifications". Maybe they have different liability insurers or different liability limits at the international evel than the regional level.
It may be lawyerspeak? PADI worldwide doesn’t have a QA program but PADI SEA does?

PADI routinely sends surveys to recently certified PADI divers asking them about their class. They ask things such as: Did you do a CESA, did you have to remove, replace and clear your mask and others. I see this as a QA process.

If a person files a complaint against a PADI DM or instructor PADI investigates the complaint. I see this as a QA process also.

Back
Top Bottom