Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All that is already done, at least by PADI.

When I was a DM assisting in classes, an instructor I assisted regularly was investigated as a result of such a report. In response to such a question on a survey, a student had said that when they did the CESA, the instructor did not use a line. That was ridiculous. We always used a line, and we had DMs top and bottom to supervise students closely at all times. The student had misremembered, but that faulty memory caused the instructor enough grief that in subsequent classes he emphasized to the students to remember that a line was used during the CESA.

My students have sometimes share with me the kinds of questions they were asked.
So when I did my OW with PADI, I think I didn’t do an online questionnaire, it was just a questionnaire on paper that was given back to the instructor, if I remember correctly (maybe I am like that student and I don’t remember correctly 😂)

Also for my AOW, where a minor incident happened, I was not given a questionnaire to fill: I decided to finish my AOW with another shop but wasn’t given an opportunity to give feedback on the first shop.

There will be always a few false positives/negatives because it’s based on student memory but I guess you want to look at people who are massive outliers on the mass of data?

I think that was 2017 however, maybe that changed?

So when I did my OW with PADI, I think I didn’t do an online questionnaire, it was just a questionnaire on paper that was given back to the instructor, if I remember correctly (maybe I am like that student and I don’t remember correctly 😂)

Also for my AOW, where a minor incident happened, I was not given a questionnaire to fill: I decided to finish my AOW with another shop but wasn’t given an opportunity to give feedback on the first shop.

There will be always a few false positives/negatives because it’s based on student memory but I guess you want to look at people who are massive outliers on the mass of data?

I think that was 2017 however, maybe that changed?
A large percentage of OW students are surveyed, but not 100%. It also depends upon the instructor. New instructors are heavily surveyed; veterans not as much.

The paper form you filled out was just for the local shop. My shops did them as well.

Now multiply that by the hundreds of thousands of instructors PADI alone has.
Part of the problem, I expect.

I haven’t forgotten your questions. I will get to them.

If I know a video of me instructing is going to be uploaded for evaluation, I am going to make sure it is a darn good video. I am sure the instructor in this case could create a stellar video.
If Snow knew that she was being video’d, would she have acted differently? If you had seen the video of Linnea dying, dying, dead, you might make a stellar video because you’d do everything right.

If I know a video of me instructing is going to be uploaded for evaluation, I am going to make sure it is a darn good video. I am sure the instructor in this case could create a stellar video.
I'd get a haircut before each class I teach and make sure I'm freshly shaven.

And if you are required to do so for every course you teach. All the instructor needs to do is turn it on and let it record. Multiple batteries would certainly be needed for GoPros.

I have a question for the dive pros. Do any of the agencies have self-reporting requirements, like that an instructor or dive shop must report to the certifying agency any deaths or injuries that occur during training? For lawyers, there are requirements to report e.g. if you are charged with a felony (even if you're ultimately acquitted), if you're sued repeatedly (even if the suits are frivolous), if you're sanctioned over a certain amount, etc., to the state bar. If you fail to report something you're required to, that can be an independent basis for disbarment, suspension, or other discipline, even if the underlying charge/suit/sanction turns out to be no big deal. It seems from the letter that was posted earlier that such a requirement does not exist, and the agencies have to find out about these things themselves.

I have a question for the dive pros. Do any of the agencies have self-reporting requirements, like that an instructor or dive shop must report to the certifying agency any deaths or injuries that occur during training? For lawyers, there are requirements to report e.g. if you are charged with a felony (even if you're ultimately acquitted), if you're sued repeatedly (even if the suits are frivolous), if you're sanctioned over a certain amount, etc., to the state bar. If you fail to report something you're required to, that can be an independent basis for disbarment, suspension, or other discipline, even if the underlying charge/suit/sanction turns out to be no big deal. It seems from the letter that was posted earlier that such a requirement does not exist, and the agencies have to find out about these things themselves.
Yes, every training agency I have been a part of requires a self-report for every incident that could result in a lawsuit.

Yes, every training agency I have been a part of requires a self-report for every incident that could result in a lawsuit.
Thanks. Do we know if the instructor and dive shop complied with that here?

Thanks. Do we know if the instructor and dive shop complied with that here?
There are no facts known in the case as yet.

Back
Top Bottom