Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NE_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got certified this spring and i absolutely loved every second of it. The only problem now is i don't know how to continue diving. I have one Buddie that got certified with me. We both want to dive this summer but neither of us have any experience so we are a bit nervous to go out on our own.

Any suggestions on how we should go about continuing our dive experience?

NE_Diver

What you need is a little mentoring. This can come from diving with your local shop of being taken under the wing of a seasoned diver. Your profile indicates you are in Uxbridge MA and I'm sure we have board members that dive your same sites. Pewrhaps someone will step forward.

Should you wish to venture to southern Maine I'd welcome the chance to share a gentle site with you guys for a dive or 2. Just drop me a PM.

Here are some other suggestions about building a buddy network.

Pete

My son is returning from College in Upstate NY so I will now have my buddy back. We are based in Northborough, MA and NH. We are busy during the week, but want to get lots of diving in on weekends. We tend to go to Cape Ann and would be happy to meet up some time soon. The various dive shops also have frequent dives on weekends. I would second Pete's suggestion of mentoring. I think that OW cert gets you in the water, but it takes a lot of dives and experience to become a good diver. I have about 85 dives now, and am starting to feel as if I am an OK diver and an OK dive buddy.

I would suggest that you connect with a local dive shop. I'm sure that they will take you out, set you up with a dive master, or introduce you to other local divers.

Just make sure you get out there and dive. There are lots of poeple looking to dive all the time.

I was in the same boat less than a year ago. I found a club that met at my LDS and almost immediately dove with them. Now I am just waiting for warmer water for my second dive!

There's a handful of dive shops around the Boston area:

Here's a few:
North Shore Frogmen
Cape Ann Divers
Aquarium Dive Club
Metro West Dive Club
United Divers SUDS (new)

Join one of the clubs and let them know that you are new and they'll pair you up with someone who is more experienced. A lot of those dive clubs generally go around the Gloucester / Rockport area over the weekend and I'm sure they'd be glad to have another member.

PM me if you want any more information and I'd be glad to give some more hints and tips regarding the local dive clubs.

Cheers and enjoy the New England diving!

I was in the same boat a few years back...I started by hanging out with some OW classes (they were always looking for "extra eyes" for their certification dives) then kept networking with some of the newer divers that wanted to get out themselves. What also helped was that our local quarry has "Wednesday night diving" and a lot of those guys hung out then. Now I have a whole bunch of people that I can hook up with.

It will come! Enjoy!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom