Suggestions, please :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigourneya

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a primary dive light that is BRIGHT- the one I have now is not as bright as my secondary. I am looking for maybe a canister light, but not too expensive any and all suggestions on what brands would be helpful. Thanks

The best:

Metalsub
Tillytec
Green force
Salvo

If you buy one of these, you won't go wrong because

1) They build only divelights
2)They have great customer service

If i were you, i would choose a led model.

The new 12 watt can light from salvo seems bright. There is a thread on this forum that speak about that light
The led 500-750 or 1000 from tillytec is very bright with good penetration. The led 1000 is as powerfull as a 18 watt hid. But if you live in the U.S, it's gonna be expensive because the euro is very high.

The best:

Metalsub
Tillytec
Green force
Salvo

If you buy one of these, you won't go wrong because

1) They build only divelights
2)They have great customer service

If i were you, i would choose a led model.

The new 12 watt can light from salvo seems bright. There is a thread on this forum that speak about that light
The led 500-750 or 1000 from tillytec is very bright with good penetration. The led 1000 is as powerfull as a 18 watt hid. But if you live in the U.S, it's gonna be expensive because the euro is very high.

add Solus to that list...:) FWIW the DiveRite LED 500, although not a "true" canister light, is not a bad light for the price 500 lumens 12 hours at 100% $360...

You're absolutely right. Solus is also one of those brilliant light manufacturer.

I have an Underwater Kinetics C8 eLED it's really nice and bright and can be had for under $150. Not as concentrated of a beam as some of the others but at less than half should do most people just fine. Has 2 power settings if you don't want it quite as bright. Used it in the clear caribbean only so far, but I am very happy with it. I actually bought 2 and have no regrets and would buy them again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's really helpful!

If you buy a pistol grip, go LED. The "Light Cannon" by UK is an HID, and is pretty nice as well, but much more expensive.

If you want cannister, look at Salvo. Awesome products, but you for what you get. UK lights are great, and I've never heard bad things about them. On the other hand, I've heard of lots of Princeton Tecs that flood. No experience, mostly stuff I've heard.

I am looking for a primary dive light that is BRIGHT- the one I have now is not as bright as my secondary. I am looking for maybe a canister light, but not too expensive any and all suggestions on what brands would be helpful. Thanks

If you are interested in a Can light, and if you don't care about having a focusable lighthead, this one is a good deal:

Great deal on Sea Elite 10 Watt 4.5 amp HID Canister Light - SP from Divers-Supply.com

Same as the Salvo 10watt HID can light, but not focusable. A buddy has one and it is a great light for the price. If you want something more powerful and/or focusable I would look at Salvo or Halcyon.

I dive with a Green Force light (FII battery with a TriStar Plus head) and I love it. I also have a Salvo backup (Rat 3-watt led) which is another great company.

I just spoke with the green force rep and the product line blew me away.

Their sytem is modular, pick your battery pack, pick your umbilical, pick your light head.

You can start with a halogen light head if you want to get into the concept of a can light on a short budget, then get just the HID light head later on (use the old battery and umbilical) or if you decide you need more burn time just swap out battery packs. The light head can even mount directly to the battery pack if you want to set up a "flashlight from hell".

Needless to say I just became a greenforce dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom