Suggestions, please...Ocean Master Purge Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galguppy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:confused: I do not have a problem clearing a regular mask but my hubby and I like to take pictures and we thought it might be convenient to try a purge mask. We chose, the Ocean Master - each of us bought one. We found them comfortable fit (on the surface)and wore them for a few dives.

Our problem?? Neither of us tend to breathe out through our noses while diving. We know this because we both have to equalize our regular masks from time to time to avoid mask squeeze.

However, during the dives with the purge feature we would notice the pressure of the mask against the face increasing to the point of real discomfort. When we tried to equalize in the usual manner, it seemed the pressure against the face got worse because the equalizing air - no matter how gently we tried - escaped through the valve. I had to actually pull the mask away from my face, which let in some water, and then purge, to get some temporary relief. Then it would all start again. Obviously, we are doing something wrong!! Help, suggestions, please as we don't want to have equipment that we cannot use if we can help it.

I have read the purge feature on a mask is supposed to simplify things...trust me to complicate it!!! :shakehead

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Your mask problem does sound odd. I've never had a purge valve mask, but if it's too tight on your face after exhaling into it - with the excess leaving via the valve, all I can think is that you had the strap too tight to start with...?

Good luck, but I have a lot of gear that I don't use - purchases that seemed like a good idea at the time, but weren't.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Hi - I use an Ocean Master mask with a purge and have never had that problem. Maybe your straps are too tight?

I use the Om mask and also never have any problems with it

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully you will be able to heed some of the advice here at ScubaBoard. Lots of knowledge here. Welcome and happy diving.

I dive an Ocean Master 3 window. I've had this problem. Mask is to tight. I don't even have to stretch the straps when I put it on using the adjustment I have. Using the Q strap makes underwater adjustment easy. Try it on your next dive.

galguppy:
Thank you all. I think you could be right. Will retry in upcoming trip this fall.
I'd bet that Brockville diving would be very nice about now. Or, test in a pool. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom