Suggestions on Hiring Underwater Videographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishfood233

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm located in Los Angeles, California. I want to create some awesome videos for an underwater product, with some social media posts and for youtube. Does anyone have experience hiring? Any suggestions for special questions to ask, skills to look for, or referrals?

I'm new to any sort of video production.

Hi, I'm located in Los Angeles, California. I want to create some awesome videos for an underwater product, with some social media posts and for youtube. Does anyone have experience hiring? Any suggestions for special questions to ask, skills to look for, or referrals?

I'm new to any sort of video production.
Are you paying or just offering "exposure"? The shooters I've worked with are around $1000 per day if I recall. I don't know if this included equipment rental costs or expenses. These are Nat Geo/ Discovery Channel level people. Easy enough to get them. Go to their website. Email them, get a quote, and work out a schedule.

No, that's really unprofessional. I would pay and have a contract assigning relevant rights. Their website? Where would I find these - is it a directory, or sleuthing by-lines and investigating their online presence hunting for contact info? I'm looking to avoid the latter if possible.
Are you paying or just offering "exposure"? The shooters I've worked with are around $1000 per day if I recall. I don't know if this included equipment rental costs or expenses. These are Nat Geo/ Discovery Channel level people. Easy enough to get them. Go to their website. Email them, get a quote, and work out a schedule.

this was supremely unhelpful and seems you just wanted to stir the pot. perhaps adopt a more positive view on life and try to be helpful to others instead of jumping to conclusions.

If anyone has any real value add about how to get to these photographers, please share

this was supremely unhelpful and seems you just wanted to stir the pot. perhaps adopt a more positive view on life and try to be helpful to others instead of jumping to conclusions.

If anyone has any real value add about how to get to these photographers, please share
Sigh. Dealing with wannabes is so unrewarding.

I know at least two in the business who’ve worked for the BBC underwater unit. At US$1,000 a day you’ll get a monkey. These people are not cheap as you require a team, a dive platform, and time to get the images right. Unless you’re prepared to spend at least US$100,000 but probably a lot more you’re going to deal with amateurs.

Yeah mate spit it out further so in the future those you want help from don't see it and refuse

istockphoto-652935460-612x612.jpg

I know at least two in the business who’ve worked for the BBC underwater unit. At US$1,000 a day you’ll get a monkey. These people are not cheap as you require a team, a dive platform, and time to get the images right. Unless you’re prepared to spend at least US$100,000 but probably a lot more you’re going to deal with amateurs.
Thank you, this is helpful regarding the budgeting piece.

Back
Top Bottom