Suggestions on dive sites in MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was recently certified 2 months ago in Cozumel. Because of my job, all of my 8 logged dives have been in Cozumel. In about a month, I will be returning home to MA for about 10 days. During the short time I am home, I would like to do a few dives if I have the time. By that point, I will have logged another 4-6 dives. I know I have been spoiled with the conditions and vis in Cozumel compared to New England. What are some good dives sites and operators to use for someone who is still very much a beginner, who has never dove the waters off New England? Also, what are some tips for diving in New England in the summer? Thanks

I would suggest paying a DM to take you out for a few dives and show you the ropes of diving cold water, or find a mentor who is willing to do so. I learned in cold water, and I can't imagine learning in warm water then jumping right in cold water. Diving warm water really doesn't prepare you for cold.

I would suggest paying a DM to take you out for a few dives and show you the ropes of diving cold water, or find a mentor who is willing to do so. I learned in cold water, and I can't imagine learning in warm water then jumping right in cold water. Diving warm water really doesn't prepare you for cold.

That was the plan, I just don't know of any reputable dive shops in the area. But, I also haven't spent a great deal of time in the area in the past two years, so I don't even know where to begin looking. I live in the Worcester, MA area, and I have only ever seen one dive shop close to my house, but I also don't know the name, or even if it's still open.

I think Inland Divers in Leicester still exists, is that the one you mean? I don't know anything about them though - I bought a BC there once and I think a friend got certified there but that was like 15-20 years ago. (I suppose being around that long could be a good sign.)

That was the plan, I just don't know of any reputable dive shops in the area. But, I also haven't spent a great deal of time in the area in the past two years, so I don't even know where to begin looking. I live in the Worcester, MA area, and I have only ever seen one dive shop close to my house, but I also don't know the name, or even if it's still open.

Since I'm 60 miles from them, I've only done business with Inland Divers a couple times, but they're very helpful people who appear to run a nice operation. They're in Leicester, MA, close to Worcester.

Inland Divers website:

INLAND DIVERS - http://inlandivers.com

Phone: (508) 892-3323

Email address of owner, Ero Sundstrom:

erosund@msn.com

Email address of manager, Paul Bazinet:

bazdiver51@aol.com

Rockport, MA, has some easy shore dive sites, such as Front Beach. Buddies abound here on ScubaBoard. Just ask! Cape Ann Divers, dive shop in Gloucester, can provide guided dives:

http://www.capeanndivers.com/

Dave C

Double post

Dave pretty much covered it all. Some more easy dives on Cape Ann are Old Garden Beach and Folly Cove. They are much nicer IMO than Front Beach. Folly is easy to navigate as you can just follow the shore however, the beach is littered with ankle breakers so it's nice to go during high tide.

There are several dive clubs that dive on a regular basis and they provide a good way to meet experienced divers.

I also recommend posting here if you are looking for a buddy, 9 times out of 10 you will be able to find someone.

Good luck and safe diving.

Posted via Mobile Device

I deal with Inland Divers on a regular basis,was certified there and plan on continuing my certifications there. Paul is the manager and he is a decent guy, he fills the tanks at 40 degrees to ensure a complete fill all the time. They run all sorts of certifications on a regular basis throughout the dive season, give em try. As for Dive spots, I have to agree with most here,although I am pretty new here I do most of my diving on Cape Ann ,I think the diving is nice, the area is nice and the there are usually plenty of critters to watch or hunt.

Thanks for all the info guys. It's been a big a help. I'll make sure to check out both shops while I'm home. I'm not sure what my schedule is going to be like when I'm back as it will have been 11 months that I've been gone, but I would love to get a dive in that's not the fairly easy drift diving in the crystal clear tropical waters of Cozumel. Hopefully, I'll be posting about needing an experienced dive buddy (preferably DM) who wouldn't mind showing a new diver around the New England dive sites.

Back
Top Bottom