Suggestions on Dive Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage , could you please provide a brief comparison between your wide beam and narrow beam torches , which one do you prefer on night dives and why ?
Regards
Nomro

Hostage , could you please provide a brief comparison between your wide beam and narrow beam torches , which one do you prefer on night dives and why ?
Regards
Nomro

TBH I like them both. I use them together, instead of having a "crappy" backup, I have two decent alternative lights instead of having a "backup".

Wide Angle
Pros:
Smaller
$10 cheaper
Covers a larger area
no hot spot

Cons:
Non-standard Battery, is harder to find (keg looking ones)
Has limited range as the light disapates
Only "off/on", no low powered or strobe feature

Narrow Beam
Pros:
Easy to find AA batteries
High, Low, (power) and Strobe modes gives you more flexability
Longer battery life from the 6 AA's
Longer Range

Cons:
Don't have really many of these as the price is cheap already and I don't keep the light stowed like I do with my small one.
The size of this light might be a double edge sword. The smaller light is small and light enough to take even on non-night dives, can't say the same for the larger one. Though I would prefer having more batteries for my main light.

Summary:
If I had to have one, it would be the narrow beam, though as it is highly recommended to have a backup, I use the widebeam as an alaternative/backup. Both lights are rated at 220 lumens.

Thanks a lot , that is really helpful , especially the summary part :)

Back
Top Bottom