Suggestions on Dive Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am taking my AOW next week and I am looking for dive lights. I know three of the dives will be the following: wreck, deep, and night. From what I am reading, LED is the most efficient and durrable. I also read that HID is the brightest. If I am thinking of getting a HID for my primary and getting a reliable LED for my backup. I also read that it is a good idea to go for a wider beam for your primary and a focus beam for your backup.

I really don't have an interest in overhead enviroments, though I would like to see some wrecks. I would never dive a cave and will never penitate to deep into a wreck. Most of my diving will be in upstate NY. I do have some interest in photography.

I see a lot of different things on the market and I do not want to spend the $500-$1k that many people do for the can lights. I am wanting to spend under $200 for the set. Though if there are some good suggestions I'll listen.

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

you aren't going to find a good hid for sub $200, you are looking at about 1k for a 21W HID which is what I see commonly recommended for rec diving here in the great lakes. a 10W HID would run $500-600, with the occasional used one being found for $300.

For a AOW wreck/deep/night I would get a intova ultra, its just as bright/powerful as a buddies 12w LM LED and for $70 you can save the rest of your money towards getting a real light in the future.

Hostage, pistol grips are a PITA, as they can hang up on stuff, they get in the way swapping hands, you cannot have two hands to do anything when one is holding a pistol (think camera, for example).

I highly recommend (as I did thorough research before purchasing) the Intova Ultra Nova from Cave Adventurers.

1. It is a great light for non-overhead environments, which is what you will be doing.

2. It fits into the OxyCheck Universal Light Sock wonderfully (so you can put it on the back of your hand, like the can lights).

3. If you do decide to go "all the way" and get the $1K+ can light, the Ultra Nova is a perfect backup light.

4. Edd Sorenson says it's the best . . . If Edd thinks so, you can't go wrong.

It does make me feel more comfortable when many are sayhing the same thing. Is this a recommendation for a primary or backup? If so any suggestions for the other?

It does make me feel more comfortable when many are sayhing the same thing. Is this a recommendation for a primary or backup? If so any suggestions for the other?

Hostage, I used this as my primary light for over a year. It is really a super light, it uses AA batteries so they are readily available, it puts up with some . . . er, rough handling? I dropped it a couple times, onto concrete.

As long as you are not going into overhead environments (Wreck Penetration for more than a swim-through, or Cave), this light will be perfect as a primary for as long as you want.

It has at least a 4-hour burn time, so it is a perfect back-up should you go to a canister light. It's a "win" all around.

I don't think anyone would disagree . . . Anyone? :idk:

Oh, boy; there are lots of choices!

For me, personally, I went with a TUSA wide-angle beam, because I use it to spotlight fish when I am taking pictures, and it produces a large, evenly lit area. So you see, I bought my lights with specific needs in mind. One thing I did stick to, was the 4-hour burn time. Just in case. If ever. :)

Some cave divers have said that they don't want anything without a tight beam, for signalling.

However, if you were to peruse Cave Adventurers Back up dive lights . . . the man has quite the toy selection!

I am looking and it looks like they have two types of the 220Lum. A wide angle and a tight beam. The wide angle is cheaper and use the smaller batteries. I am thinking of getting both and using them interchangably.

This is a hard question at this point in your diving -- what do you see them eventually used for? In what diving conditions?

A wide angle will simply highlight all the stuff in the water, if you dive in a low-visability environment. Think of high-beams in fog or snowstorm.

A narrow, piercing beam will cut through low vis better.

A narrow, piercing beam will get someone's attention better if you are in clear, sunlit waters. I would play mine on my dive buddy's hand or arm, to get his attention. The wide beam was worthless for that.

However, if you are lighting up a critter under a rock, a narrow beam creates a "hot spot" of washed-out color in your photos. A wide, even beam highlights a critter beautifully and provides some fill for the strobe.

:idk:

Back
Top Bottom