Suggestions on best way to get educated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep some old Blackbeards related thread links handy in case I need to reference them. These are old, but much of the info. may still be useful. One thing about Blackbeards - it's my understanding most of the dives don't have a guide leading them. I have not dove with them; I've been following trip reports about them for years, as they are quite popular.

JlcNuke’s 2017 My Blackbeard's Cruise Report - My Blackbeard's Cruise Report Includes some need-to-know discussion about bathing and bathroom concerns.

T.C.’s Report on Blackbeards May 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/484271-trip-report-blackbeard-s-cruises-24-30-may.html

Kimbalabala’s Blackbeards review 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wo...-liveaboard.html?highlight=Blackbeards+review

Craig66’s Question thread about Blackbeards - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...stion-about-dives-blackbeards-liveaboard.html
On my trip Feb/March '22. The only times a DM/Instructor was in the water (with the passengers- they did do a few personal dives) was for specific class dives or the one "chumsickle" shark-feed dive.

Dive sites were briefed for each dive, but it was basically "pool's open, we'll be here when you get back."

It does demand a good sense of personal limits and encourages growth. Navigation can be somewhat tricky on a few site that we were on. We did have to do a spy-hop once (hides head in shame ) after doing a bunch of swim-throughs on a somewhat tangled finger-reef site,as dusk was approaching, but they never had to fire up the tender to recover anybody on our trip.

For a new diver, AOW + Navigation would be a good combo to do in the trip. Time to learn skills in real world conditions and immediately practice.

Best way to get educated? Marry an exotic dancer you just met in Vegas, you will get a education.

Valuable experience takes time; not a good idea to try to get valuable experience quickly.
I agree the best way to get educated is NOT a bunch of LOB diving. But I think that for a freshly certified OW diver, doing a lot of dives in a short period of time is a great way to get experience and solidify basic skills, and can be a heck of a lot of fun. This isn't at all the same context as the "express" training offered by some shops - I've seen rescue + DM done in 4 weeks or less - which I agree is not a good thing.

I'd look into the details of the LOB or similar on-shore alternatives where
1. the dive environment is relatively benign,
2. where he'll be group diving with a dive leader (usually a DM),
3. where they're friendly and supportive for newer divers that want to improve.

I think if he let's them know he's a new diver enthusiastic about improving his skills and open to suggestions, he'll find the vast majority of dive pros he's diving with really enjoy sharing their expertise, and will pay more attention to him while diving. (Of course, some places the DM might still be working towards their 100th dive...).
One place I can think of that a young single guy might enjoy is Utila - and it's way cheaper than a LOB.

I agree the best way to get educated is NOT a bunch of LOB diving. But I think that for a freshly certified OW diver, doing a lot of dives in a short period of time is a great way to get experience and solidify basic skills, and can be a heck of a lot of fun.
"Experience" can mean a lot of different things. And sure, the best way for a brand new diver to get experience diving is to dive a lot. But I get the impression the OP was asking about how her new, barely out of OW, son could get quick experience to make him a competent dive guide.

And that's why I wrote my response as I did. The experience she's asking about can't come from just doing a bunch of dives, keeping a logbook, and getting a gold star on his 40th logbook page. The experience required to guide divers effectively takes time and effort in the form of a lot of diving, a lot of mentoring and a lot of education.

I think the mom is a case of "she doesn't know what she doesn't know". She simply doesn't know that it's not reasonable to become a dive guide within a month or two after finishing OW. She's looking for guidance, and I think she came to the right place. We just have to make sure she's getting consistent advice from all of us.

On my trip Feb/March '22. The only times a DM/Instructor was in the water (with the passengers- they did do a few personal dives) was for specific class dives or the one "chumsickle" shark-feed dive.
Ahh... I guess it would make sense that the "divemaster" of the crew is an instructor than can run an AOW class on request. I wasn't aware this was an option with Blackbeard's, probably because I just wasn't looking for it (so I never asked.)

@yle, I totally agree the "express" DM route is (to say the least) not a good idea. I took the OP's question to be about her son getting experience before going to his friend's dive shop where the education would commence. Maybe I misunderstood. Either way I think we both agree that doing more than the minimum 40 dives (assuming PADI) before dive master training is a really good idea, and probably also agree that DMT is better done over a good long period of time with a lot more than the minimum 20 dives along the way.

My son is moving to Puerto Rico to take his best friend up on an offer to work in his dive shop and eventually become a dive guide out there.
Some good advice to your son might be to take it slow, keep an open mind, and don't get too set on an outcome that might not turn out to be right for him. The role of dive guide demands more than just diving for yourself and checking on your buddy from time to time; situational awareness, mindfulness, navigation ability despite multiple interruptions, dealing with divers you don't think should've been certified but they're paying customers...

I'm not a dive guide or any form of dive professional, and I can see that just from being a dive customer. I imagine the professionals are aware of plenty of additional demands and aggravations I don't know of.

Is this just something he wants to do for awhile while he's young with few responsibilities, like a gap year? That could be fun, but if this is something he intends to do as a long-term career, I imagine that'll be another conversation.

You will see many ScubaBoard members with dive master or instructor level credentials, and a number who teach or assist with classes. I don't think you'll see nearly as many for whom dive guiding or instructing is their full time job.

If any dive professionals think I've got the situation wrong, speak up. Just trying to keep expectations realistic.

P.S.: If your son does go, I hope he'll post trip reports and let us know more about the dive scene in Puerto Rico. We see occasional trip reports, but not a lot, and it's a large island with a lot to offer topside.

The Sea Hunt documentary series could prove extremely beneficial in how role models conduct themselves in public while contributing to the development and sustainability of environmental awareness, and the adverse effects of diver safety. Most importantly the series offers insights into the Scuba divers’ behavioral attributes and temperament in various forms which assist Divemasters to differentiate between a dud, a poser and a potential instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom