Suggestions needed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melvin mentioned the risk to the child. I just remembered another case from 2 years ago where the situation was inverted and the mother died while diving in the company of a young teen. The child was unable to help the parent in an emergency. I know the family in question and the child was severely impacted by the incident and requires intensive psychiatric accompanyment till today to help deal with the trauma. If it's bad enough for an adult to go through the trauma of being the " surviving buddy" imagine what this would do to a youngster.

Voop,

You have made a very good point as to the importance of the Dive Master's ability to not only provide the "Technical" information in such a manner that both Adults and Kids alike can understand... but also the ability to connect with their students. Even then... is it always enough?

As I scan through the many posts on this forum, I see many situations in which adults experience apprehension and even "panic" while Scuba Diving . Was this the fault of the Dive Master? In most cases "No." But... anxiety and fear can affect just about anyone, and severely impair their ability to use good judgment and react properly to emergency situation. Age and Mental Development play a key role in one's ability to function under stress.

I'm sure we have all met adults that cannot handle the demands of Scuba Diving... as I am sure that there are those on this forum who have kids who were certified at an early age... and have never experienced any problems. Where does One draw the line? Is it age?... Is it One's Mental Ability?... I'm not sure... because no matter where you draw the line... there will always be those standing just on the other side of that line with an array of glorious success stories and about a million reasons why "They are more than able to conduct themselves in a safe manner while Scuba Diving." The arguments can go back and fourth on both sides.

As I mentioned earlier, I have no plans nor desires to take my Son over to the Coast, to go Diving. I do not believe he is ready to handle this kind of environment... but I do believe he is ready to participate in the "PADI Seals" program, down at the local pool, while under the supervision of a Dive Master, and about 10 other parents. (All of which are in the pool participating.)

Provided that it doesn't start a "Riot" on this forum... I would love to tell everyone on this forum how his "First Breath Underwater" went.

Pasley,

I definitely agree with you and your comment about teenagers who feel that they are "Invincible". In fact... my greatest fear is not that my Son is going to do something stupid at 11 years old, in a public pool, surrounded by 10 Certified Divers... Rather... it is when he reaches his late teens, is not under my supervision, has his own car (Lord Help Me!) and it trying to impress some girls. (We wont even get into the alcohol scenario!) :11:

My hope and prayer is that the lessons that I teach him "Today", about responsibility, and the fragility of life, will carry him through the age of testosterone... Or... Maybe I'll get luck and he'll get thrown in jail through his teens!!! (JOKE!... That's a JOKE!... I actually try to have a since of humor at times!) :wink:

miketsp,

I hate too hear stories like that. I am a former Police Officer, and am presently serving my Local Volunteer Fire Dept., in the capacity of an "E.M.T.-B" (Basic). One of the things that strikes me most about humanity... is the amount of mental anguish some people have to endure. It's a whirling, out-of-control, freakish, nightmare that they feel as though they may never wake up from... and sometimes "DON'T". My sincere condolences to your acquaintance, (friend?)

Believe it or not, you and I share many of the same feeling about the mental development of the Youth, and their ability to be involved in an activity as technical as Scuba Diving. Suffice it to say that I have spent a lot of time considering my decision, and I believe my Son is ready for the pool "ONLY". And... I do appreciate your comments! (Except for that wise crack about being "Irresponsible"! ) :wink: :eyebrow:

Have a great day!

Donnie

Donnie:
Believe it or not, you and I share many of the same feeling about the mental development of the Youth, and their ability to be involved in an activity as technical as Scuba Diving. Suffice it to say that I have spent a lot of time considering my decision, and I believe my Son is ready for the pool "ONLY". And... I do appreciate your comments! (Except for that wise crack about being "Irresponsible"! ) :wink: :eyebrow:

Have a great day!

Donnie

Actually Donnie, I for one, think you are acting in a very responsible manner. You sought opinions and received critisizm with a sense of humor and then made a decision based on those opinions. I hope more parents follow your example.

cheers,

Xtreme,

Due to the helpful advice of the members of this forum, I was able to use their ideas and turn on the light for my Son. Yesterday was a great day for my Son, who has been able to demonstrate the principles of "Boyles Law" and has a clear understanding!

Now that he has been exposed to many of the "Bigger" words... he is moving ahead much faster and his enthusiasm has "Sky Rocketed!!!" Not only that... I'm pretty sure that my Wife and I had just as much fun playing with the marshmallows in the syringe, as my Son did! (My German Shepard made out like a bandit with all of the "shriveled" marshmallows!)

For my Son and I... things are really turning out great! (Fantastic people on this forum ya know!)

Have a great day!

Donnie

Donnie,

I'm glad to hear everythings working out, Good Luck!!! to you and your Son...

pasley:
You know your child best as to their maturity and ability to dive. From what you describe, I would argue that the time to learn to dive is not yet come to your child.

Cnildren, particularly teenagers tend to believe they are invincible. They act first, then think, and they usally think it can not happen to them.

Here is a news story from my local dive area from last week about a 15 year old, dead because of a little water in his mask:

San Pedro teen's diving death hits family hard
SERVICES: David Gilman, 15, died suddenly after a scuba accident off Rancho Palos Verdes. A memorial geared for teens will be tonight.

By Larry Altman, Daily Breeze

A San Pedro teen who transformed quickly from a shy, quiet student to a talkative comedian admired by his teachers will be remembered tonight at services to mark his accidental death.

David Gilman, a 15-year-old student at the San Pedro High School Police Magnet, drowned Sunday evening while scuba diving with his father near the former Marineland site off the Rancho Palos Verdes coast.

"His loss is mind-boggling," said Afshin Rahmanou, David's 2003 science teacher at Dana Middle School in San Pedro. "I was really devastated."

David, who became a certified scuba diver a few weeks ago, and his father, Barry, were diving about 50 yards out when the teen apparently panicked after water entered his mask.

"I dove 10 feet, looked back and he was fine," his father said. "I turned around and dove another 5 or so feet and turned around and he was gone."

The father swam to his son, who was panicked and floundering, and gave him his air hose. The boy grabbed his father around the neck and they sank, forcing the father to separate himself to breathe.

Gilman said he pulled his son from the water, dropped the weights off his son's suit, and breathed for him as he pulled him to shore. The boy was unconscious, but appeared to have good color while paramedics treated him and flew him to the hospital.

"I thought he was going to be OK at that point," Gilman said. "We drove to Harbor General. We fully expected to have things looking up there. I became hysterical when we got there."

Coroner's officials said David died of drowning as a result of an air embolism.

His death shocked those who in the last year saw the 6-foot-2-inch young man blossom, develop friends and mature.

Truly a sad and heart breaking event. My prayers and condolences to the family.

I do wonder though if the event was triggered just by a flooding mask. If in fact it was triggered by a flooding mask I have to wonder, why was this youngster certified before he was ready?

Donnie:
miketsp,

I hate too hear stories like that. I am a former Police Officer, and am presently serving my Local Volunteer Fire Dept., in the capacity of an "E.M.T.-B" (Basic). One of the things that strikes me most about humanity... is the amount of mental anguish some people have to endure. It's a whirling, out-of-control, freakish, nightmare that they feel as though they may never wake up from... and sometimes "DON'T". My sincere condolences to your acquaintance, (friend?)

Donnie

On a recent trip I was unwittingly cause for anguish to the boy I mentioned. As part of his therapy he is going out on some boat rides just to accompany diving groups and it was a fairly long ride out to the wreck so I laid myself down in the stern, put a hat over my face and was dozing. The kid practically had a nervous breakdown and the crew explained to me that I was in exactly the same position that his mother's body was in during the ride back to shore. Even though the event was about 2 years ago, it had all come flooding back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom