Suggestions needed for dive trip to Mexico - Memorial wkd, diver & non-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
My girlfriend wants to take me on a trip as my 30 b-day gift. She is not a diver, but knows how much I like it. Anyway, we would go on memorial day weekend and we cant take days off work, so it will actually be a short trip (fri-mon).
She was looking options to cancun and cozumel, which are great options. But then I thought about doing sea of cortez, its closer (I'm in socal) and I would like to dive with hammerheads if possible.

And should we go to cabo san lucas or la paz?
do we need a car?
as a non diver, would she find stuff to do in those places?

What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot!

If she like to kayak and be in the sun, there is alot to see. My girlfriend also comes on dive trips with me. I always feel guilty about spending so much time away from her when we are on vacation. I try to make up for it by making sure she can come out on the boat with me and sit there and read or snorkle. She typically like this. Nice dinners also help. Baja has some great food so long as you stay towards the southern end. Perhaps look into getting her this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...103-4000856-1978233?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I am sure she would love reading it while you are away diving. It is a classic and will engross her in the local color of the area. Also, befoer you go, do a little reasearch on the rotolyths, by far one of the coolest multi-cellular creatures of the sea.

Hi , definetly there is a lot to see and do for her as well, maybe she can join you on the boat when you go to dive sites where is shallow enough for her to do snorkeling or she can also grab a kayak and visit the surroundings, there is beatiful beaches, mangroves, bird watching, etc.

I think La Paz will be a better choice since Cabo is more a party town than a place where you can enjoy some good diving, you can also hire a package that includes the airport transportation so you don't have to drive, however a car is always handy in case you wan't to travel around to the nearby towns, etc.

Pedro

I am actually having a hard time finding flights to maximize my time on the trip.
The flights to la paz leave in the afternoon and return in the morning. AT least, that's what I get when searching online.
Any tips on where to find more flights?

Is it worth going there for a 3 day weekend, that is actually just 2 full days in the destination?

Thanks

I was expecting more help with this...
???

Does anybody know the dive conditions in Sea of Cortez late may?

Thanks

Try contacting Manta Divers in Cabo. They have a good reputation and wil let you know what they have been seeing. Here is there e-mail: mantacabo@yahoo.com

This time of year conditions tend to be in the mid 60's with vis around 40-50 feet. As for the sea life, besides the resident species, I am not sure what migratory species are crusing by this time of year. Take the extra day off as you will need it any way to clear residual Nitrogen from your blood before you fly and best of luck.

-Manny

Back
Top Bottom