Suggestions/Key West Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbb97fxdwg

Reaction score
Going to Key West in June. Any hints on best diving? Should I make trip to Islamorada? Any experiences with KW dive trips? Thx

We did a day of diving there with Dive Key West and I would definitely recommend them. We dove "Joe's Tug" and a reef site called "Marker 32" and both were very nice sites and Joe's Tug has an interesting story behind it. Dive Key West was recommended to us by a DM from Strike Zone Charter who said Dive Key West is the only shop she would work for down there. We dove Looe Key with Strike Zone and even though they mix snorkelers and divers we enjoyed the operation. My husband and I and one other diver had the entire back of the large pontoon style boat while the snorkelers were up front. Diving Looe Key is definitely worth the 30 mile drive from Key West to Big Pine Key. We saw 3 large nurse sharks on one dive and a lot of barracuda on both dives.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've used Captain's Corner, http://www.captainscorner.com/ and have had no problems with them (in fact just booked a few trips with them for the end of the month)

I've only done reef dives with CC, so I can't speak for any wreck diving. The reefs there are fine, but I've heard that there are better sites up in the Marathon through Islamorada area...

Two fine operations are DKW and Subtropic, they are also the most expensive esp. if you are renting gear. Captains Corner is the least expensive I've tried -- by a long shot -- esp. if you have your own gear with you. CC is two blocks off Duval, IIRC.

If you have a car, you owe it to yourself to drive the 20 miles or so to Cudjoe Key/Big Pine Key and dive the reef at Looe Key. Much nice reefs there than off KW.

YMMV.

Edit after reading Ber's post: I don't know of *any* reef trips in KW that don't take snorkelers. They don't bother me, but if they bother you then ask about about doing wreck dives to Cayman Salvager or Joe's Tug instead (these aren't scheduled every day).

Hey Ber...IS Strikezone a good operator? I'm looking for a good alternative to dive Looe Key. I was going to check out Capt. Wyatt's operation, but it looks like they may not be open when I'm down... (his site says closed through March, his answering machine message says closed until March 5...so I'm going to call tomorrow and see what's what)

My other option is to go further up and hit Marathon for Sombrero Reef... I want to start my trip off VERY conservative to get ack into the swing...

Thanks!

We used several different Key West dive operators around Labor Day 2004 (between hurricanes), and Subtropic and Captain's Corner were the two we preferred. Subtropic took the 2 of us alone on their bigger (nicer) v-hull to the Cayman Salvagerfor a first dive with a second dive to boot, while the pontoon boat went out with the snorkelers and lobster hunters. Captain's Corner has hyperfiltered air, and the biggest hull size boat, and they go out when some of the other operators stay in port. Both of these operators had very professional staff when we used them.

mbb97fxdwg:
Going to Key West in June. Any hints on best diving? Should I make trip to Islamorada? Any experiences with KW dive trips? Thx
If you take Ber Rabbit recommendation for Dive Key West (I dove with them also and agree) you might want to stay at the Hyatt Key West Resort and Marina seeing that's where DKW docks their boat and it's where they leave from. VERY convenient to roll out of bed and onto the dive boat in the morning....

Just finished 4 days with Key Dives in Islamorada last week.Can't say enough
nice things about them.Mike,Marcia and staff go the extra mile to take care of
you.Just my 2 cents worth!

rje634:
If you take Ber Rabbit recommendation for Dive Key West (I dove with them also and agree) you might want to stay at the Hyatt Key West Resort and Marina seeing that's where DKW docks their boat and it's where they leave from. VERY convenient to roll out of bed and onto the dive boat in the morning....
Heck, if you can afford $99 for a two tank dive with rental gear from DKW, then why not spend $450 per night (and up) at the Hyatt Key West Resort and Marina. :eyebrow: j/k

Seriously, I stayed one night at that Hyatt. It was OK I guess, nothing that fancy, the whole pool and beach thing they have is way overstated for what it really is. I'd rather be at the Hilton Key West Resort & Marina, nicer facility and its at a better location (right off Mallory Square) and for whatever reason its actually less expensive compared to the Hyatt.

If you really want to splurge, get a cottage at Sunset Key (the Hilton resort across the channel from Mallory Square). Sweeeeet!

StSomewhere:
Heck, if you can afford $99 for a two tank dive with rental gear from DKW, then why not spend $450 per night (and up) at the Hyatt Key West Resort and Marina. :eyebrow: j/k
We actually got a really good deal on expedia last year, 4 night and flight from NY for $1300.
If you can work that kind of deal the Hyatt is worth it.
Besides I can't spend $450 on a room I need to save my money for diving and equipment!!!!

BTW if you stay with Hyatt I think DKW gives you a discount, 10 or 20%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom