Suggestions for warm-weather non-beach-goer trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidInNH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks.

My wife has a vacation week coming up in late February and wants to go someplace warm. Ideally, we'd like to go somewhere that I could dive while she could do other things than sitting on a beach (she's not into that).

We're about to start looking into places such as Cozumel, the Virgin Islands, Costa Rica but figured this was a good place to start.

Thanks in advance.

- Dave

Check out Puerto Rico. Near Guanica (in South) is the Copa Marina beach resort which has great diving and lots for non-divers to do. There are the near by islands with cool mangroves can kayak to, hiking. Or N. East in Fajardo area (Wyndham El Conquistador), you can dive nearby Icacos and she can do day excursion to hike El Yunque rain forest. You can set up base at San Juan and she can tour old san juan, the forts. There are dive shops in SJ that will pick you up and do day trips.

Last edited:
Hawaii is one of my favorite places on Earth. You can often find deals that will put it in the same price range or even cheaper than going to a Caribbean destination even with the added distance.

It definitely fits your requirements with plenty to do on land for you wife and plenty of diving. Each Island has different things to offer so you'd have to do a little homework to figure out which Island suits you best but it is definitely worth looking into.

My wife and I went to St. Croix, US Virgin Islands, this past March. We stayed at the Villa Margarita (~$180/night for a single bedroom unit, Caribbean Seaside Guest House, St. Croix, United States Virgin Islands), and I dove with Anchor Dive Center (Anchor Dive Center: Salt River National Park, Wall Diving, Dive Locations St. Croix, St Croix Scuba,Caribbean Dive Packages,St. Croix Diving). Great outfit and only about a mile from the villa. My wife is not a diver but she enjoyed the relaxing, out-of-the-way, experience of the villa and we both did the usual touristy stuff. St. Croix is pretty laid back, easy to get to, and few hassles as it is part of the US.
Jim

Thanks for the suggestion but Hawaii won't work for us (at this time). We're on a school vacation of one week only. We'd leave on Saturday and have to be back the following Saturday or Sunday. Too much travel time to Hawaii.

Thanks again, though.

Try Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. You can dive in the ocean and in cenotes for a different experience. I was there a couple of years ago and while I didn't do it, some people in my party toured around to interesting historical sites and such. Shouldn't take you too long to get there, either, as it's on the Yucatan and you could fly into Cancun.

Also, while not as warm as you'd like, I've always wanted to dive the Bonne Terre Mine and I don't think it's too far from Branson.....I'm kidding by the way....

We head to Key Largo every year about that time. We'll be there again this year, diving with Silent World in the morning and keeping the narcosis alive at any number of fun spots once we towel off.

PTN

I'm off to Florida later this week to visit my dad (and to dive, of course). I expect to be going out next weekend with Silent World as well. Did the Duane, Spiegel Grove and some reefs with them last time I was down there. Good operation and nice folks.

As for the February vacation week, we're off to Puerto Rico (not entirely on your recommendation, Reefseal, but it was part of it). Air and car are booked - now we need to figure out where to go and where to stay. (And where I will be diving.)

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Most Hotels in SJ have excursions to Fajardo area where can catch a boat to dive nearby Icacos for day excursions. She can beach comb, snorkel while you dive. If you had time, would plan on staying Vieques or Culebra (can take ferries to both from Fajardo) and stay on island to dive. Weekdays this time of year, it's dead so you and your wife could have an entire beach to your self. You used to be able to fly from San Juan (flamingo airways) Not sure they are running flights anymore. There really isn't any diving near SJ. (too much surf) To the west is nearby Isabela and there are cool shore dives ("los Archos") which are arches with swim thrus

Back
Top Bottom