Suggestions For Solo Dive Trip In October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhishScuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, unfortunately my girlfriend and my schedules this year doesn't line up so I will be looking to do a solo dive trip mid October. I am AOW/Nitrox diver with over 150 logged dives. Im looking to stay in the Western Hemisphere. Is Roatan super bad in October? Would consider going back to Cozumel. I have up to 14 days I can go , looking for 2-3 dives a day with some chill days. Thanks in advance!!!!

Look into one of the liveaboards at Turks and Caicos.

Huracan dive lodge, Belize. It doesn't have A/C, but I still found the lodge very comfortable. 3 dives a day except the middle day on a 7 day trip. They make a mainland run to transfer customers, so it's a day off diving mid-week. Food is amazing and plentiful, diving is truly spectacular, and no crowds.

so I will be looking to do a solo dive trip mid October. I am AOW/Nitrox diver with over 150 logged dives. Im looking to stay in the Western Hemisphere.
Are you solo certified or interested in diving solo, or do you wish to be paired up with an 'instabuddy,' or just dive with a group being led around by a guide (often with the pretense people are buddied)?

Do you want shore diving, boat diving or both?

Are you mostly fond of lush coral reef, 'big animals' or what?

If you 'only' want 2-3 dives/day with some 'chill days,' I wouldn't do a liveaboard.

What do you want to do on 'chill' days? What topside scene are you after?

From your profile you've been to "Vermont, Panama, Jamaica, Cuba, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Belize," and you mentioned Cozumel specifically.

Richard.

I do a solo trip every November, and after going outside the Caribbean for years, I've been looking for somewhere to dive in the Caribbean, this year I chose to go back to Cozumel, for it's ease to get to, social scene, and it rates relatively high on the quality of diving for Caribbean destinations. I've looked into Roatan, and yes I know your looking at October, November can be pretty rainy, and a bit more travel than Cozumel, I've also looked at Belize and Huracan rates high due to it's close proximity to Half Moon which many say is some of the best reef in Belize. I hear it has good food as thats more points, Cozumel got excellent points for food. I paseed on Huracan this time do to it being isolated and I needed a more social vibe. Small resorts can be great if there are people you click with or they can be irritating if their is someone that you find obnoxious, or worst case scenario is everyone keeps to themselves and your lonely.

Are you solo certified or interested in diving solo, or do you wish to be paired up with an 'instabuddy,' or just dive with a group being led around by a guide (often with the pretense people are buddied)?

Do you want shore diving, boat diving or both?

Are you mostly fond of lush coral reef, 'big animals' or what?

If you 'only' want 2-3 dives/day with some 'chill days,' I wouldn't do a liveaboard.

What do you want to do on 'chill' days? What topside scene are you after?

From your profile you've been to "Vermont, Panama, Jamaica, Cuba, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Belize," and you mentioned Cozumel specifically.

Richard.
thanks for your response!
Not solo certified, or interested in solo dives ( although I do very shallow solo dives in Vermont to check pond aerators) , wouldn't mind an "instabuddy" or small group dives

shore diving versus both doesn't matter

I like both lush coral and big animals... would probs steer toward coral this round

looking to relax beach it and have some drinks on chill days topside

yes in ive dove in all those places listed , Utila , Cozumel , Tulum , Koh tao , Bali , Nusa penida, Gili air , Komodo , San Pedro, blue hole/lighthouse reef, Placencia , to be more specific

I do a solo trip every November, and after going outside the Caribbean for years, I've been looking for somewhere to dive in the Caribbean, this year I chose to go back to Cozumel, for it's ease to get to, social scene, and it rates relatively high on the quality of diving for Caribbean destinations. I've looked into Roatan, and yes I know your looking at October, November can be pretty rainy, and a bit more travel than Cozumel, I've also looked at Belize and Huracan rates high due to it's close proximity to Half Moon which many say is some of the best reef in Belize. I hear it has good food as thats more points, Cozumel got excellent points for food. I paseed on Huracan this time do to it being isolated and I needed a more social vibe. Small resorts can be great if there are people you click with or they can be irritating if their is someone that you find obnoxious, or worst case scenario is everyone keeps to themselves and your lonely.
I have the second half of October and first half of November off so im looking at both options... ive spent a night and dove Roatan in the past then spent few weeks on Utila. would love to go back and im thinking in the Spring when I have another 7 weeks off.... we went to Belize last fall and I wasn't to impressed. I know Cozumel is easy and cheap and could be a go to

My vote, to avoid possible hurricanes, is for Curaçao. Join up with Welcome to The Dive Bus, Curacao - The Dive Bus Curaçao for at least a couple of dives, then go from there.

Erik
Curacao keeps holding high on my list. is it mostly shore dives or boat dives? seems like the dive bus is shore dives ( not that it matters ) , any lodging recommendations ?

Back
Top Bottom