Suggestions for novel for hubby on airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, i've ordered four books, two for him, two for me, amazon.com, used paperbacks.......all four including shipping for $24. not bad. for him: Shadow Divers, and Master & Commander, for me......Ship of Gold in a Deep Blue Sea, and The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann. thanks for your help!! can't wait to go!! 32 more days!!

Don't Stop the Carnival- Herman Wouk

my favorite! when I get my sailboat in the next couple of years the names I have in mind include "Tully's Dream" (ref. Tully Mars, Tales from Margaritaville) and "Kinja Bound".

Shadow Divers, Fatal Depth, Last Dive, and any Clive Cussler novel.

yeah, 'cos any Clive Cussler novel is just like the rest. Even the characters only change name not overblown descriptions. The new guy, whats his name Kurt something? is just like the old Dirk Pitt. Formula....

Now, how about a good Travis McGee novel...:D

White Divers of Broome.... my history is full of sad racist decisions and this tells the story of one of them... and again, the white anglo english aussies got their butts kicked by the migrants!!! :D

and Stokers Submarine. its about the creation of our submarine corp during ww1 and how we (the aussies) were the 1st country to break into the turkish stronghold, the scuttling of the AE2 and its recent discovery

The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin is a good book about Aussie.

... can't wait to go!! 32 more days!!

I could never get books that far in advance - they'd all be read long before the flights!

I'm waiting until the airport and paying a premium for the new books for this first segment of my trip, but we have no bookstore here :wink:

I'm not sure I can recommend anything beyond my personal preferences, which generally tend to run to the humorous for my pleasure reading, though as a kid I devoured adventure books.

If your husband like contemporary comedic fiction, I'd recommend anything by Christopher Moore--the closest diving-related book of his is Fluke: Or I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings. I have a friend who swears by Chuck Pahlaniuk, though I've yet to start reading his books. Of course, there's also Kurt Vonnegut, who just passed away last year.

If your husband enjoys well-told tales of high-adventure that have stood the test of time, I'd recommend Scaramouche, Treasure Island, The Three Musketeers, or The Count of Montecristo (the last happens to be my dad's favorite book--a belated Father's Day shoutout to my dad!).

If your husband is a bit of a sci-fi/fantasy nerd, I'd recommend anything in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, and the early books from Robert Asprin's Myth series. For the most part, the books in the Discworld series are all stand-alone novels, so your husband can pick any one of them up and begin the series there. The Hitchhiker's series and the Myth series generally are better reads if read in order. The first book in the Hitchhiker's series, surprisingly, is titled "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"; the first book in the Myth series is "Another Fine-Myth".

If your husband likes comedic mystery, I'd recommend any of the earlier books by Carl Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey, or even Dave Barry. I think there's probably something in the Florida waters, since these guys all write about some really "unique" situations. Oddly enough, I think Carl Hiaasen has been quoted as saying that many of the stranger story elements that he's put to pen actually occurred in real life (for instance, a male dolphin that got a little to "friendly" with a female swimmer in the dolphin tank).

If your husband likes being able to put down a book (for instance, once a surface interval is complete) without having to leave a book at "the good part" but still wants to be entertained by good storytelling, I'd recommend a book of shortstories by Mark Twain, O. Henry, or Damon Runyon. While Twain is well-noted for his humor, there's something captivating in the way he spins a yarn regardless of whether it's comedic or serious. As for O. Henry, his stories tend to have an unexpected twist at the end (though I must admit that after a while, I tend to look for the unexpected twist). Damon Runyon's tales tend to revolve around memorable and sympathetic characters, though not all of them are of the "cute-and-cuddly" kind.

If your husband enjoys comedic plays, I'd recommend Plautus (classical Roman playright), Moliere (a French Baroque playwright), or Neil Simon (mid/late-20th century American playwright). One of my favorite Plautus plays is "The Golden Ass". As for Moliere's "The Misanthrope" I find it a little dated but still funny. "Rumors" by Neil Simon is hilarious--I was first introduced to it by my high school drama department.

If all else fails, you could always get your husband a portable DVD player, some batteries, and a collection of DVDs to last the entire trip! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom