suggestions for mesh boat bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Currently we're using the standard canvas duffle bags and they work fine, except that they get soaked and don't exactly stow well inside other luggage.

I'm thinking about buying a mesh boat bag to take on vacation to use to and from the room and the boat. I want 2 bags that can fold up into the travel suitcase. We have a regulator bag for both sets of regs so all we need is room for:

2 sets of SP jet fins (1 med and one large)
2- 3 mil wetsuits
2 masks & carriers
booties
1 BP/W
1 Lady Hawk

If it could fit a canister light that would be nice.

I'm looking at the following bags but I'm not sure how well it will all fit because the fins are bulky as is my BC. So any suggestions would be great.

The Aeris Mesh bag on this page http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Bags.asp?PAGE=4

Both ScubaToys mesh bags on this page http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Bags.asp?PAGE=2

The XS Mesh deluxe here http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Bags.asp?PAGE=1

Quite frankly, we can carry the BCs on our back so the bag doesn't need to be big enough to fit them. Maybe one bag for the rest?

Any ideas and recs are welcome.

I think it's more convienient if you each have your own for your own gear and misc stuff, rather than trying to share one, or fit it all in one, or have one that weighs a ton. And it's nice to be able to fit the BC in - some resorts even do things like pick up your gear at your room so it would be better to have it in the bag instead of loose.

Mickey,

I highly recommend the Stahlsac mesh bags. They are as tough as nails and have a lifetime warranty on the mesh.

There are two sizes, I prefer the larger of the two.

I can get a 7mm FJ/J, two sets fins and the rest of my gear into my bag.

the K

UPDATE: that would be Stahlsac's "Bonaire" mesh backpack

I have the scubaToys mesh boat bag. I works well, has a secure pocket and an attachable shoulder strap. It might accommodate all of the gear you listed but two wet suits is probably pressing it too much. I got mine for free at ScubaToys. It is a common giveaway with gear purchases. I would suggest accommodating some of the smaller items in a companion multi-use dry bag.

SStrecker:
I have the scubaToys mesh boat bag. I works well, has a secure pocket and an attachable shoulder strap. It might accommodate all of the gear you listed but two wet suits is probably pressing it too much. I got mine for free at ScubaToys. It is a common giveaway with gear purchases. I would suggest accommodating some of the smaller items in a companion multi-use dry bag.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a dry bag just to put the wetsuits in after diving. That way I was minimizing the amount of water that would end up in the rental car's trunk at the end of the day.

Is the Scubatoys mesh bag large enough for 1 bc, booties, jetfins and a light? I could always get 2. Especially at those prices.

A few yrs back, I bought a Tusa mesh back pack 'cause it was the only thing available at the time and thought that it would last 1/2 season, but after 4 seasons carrying my daughters scuba gear I can say it outlasted all my expectatives, it shows very little wear and seems that it'll last many seasons to come.
The only problem is the metal zippers rusted shut on the second season after my daughter forgot to clean the bag one day, and had to be replaced with plastic YKKs.

Who would had thought that a Tusa bag was going to be so good??

This bag can carry 1 full scuba set or 3 snorkeling sets including wetsuits

Mandy3206:
A few yrs back, I bought a Tusa mesh back pack 'cause it was the only thing available at the time and thought that it would last 1/2 season, but after 4 seasons carrying my daughters scuba gear I can say it outlasted all my expectatives, it shows very little wear and seems that it'll last many seasons to come.
The only problem is the metal zippers rusted shut on the second season after my daughter forgot to clean the bag one day, and had to be replaced with plastic YKKs.

Who would had thought that a Tusa bag was going to be so good??
We have Tusa mesh backbacks also, don't know if they're the same as yours but they must be like 10 years old and going strong. No problem with the zippers though.

It's good to get heavy duty mesh bags. We started with some really cheapy lightweight ones, it was a pain to coax things in and I was always always fixing them. (Long since demoted to the kayak stuff which isn't as hard on the bags!)

Damselfish:
We have Tusa mesh backbacks also, don't know if they're the same as yours but they must be like 10 years old and going strong. No problem with the zippers though.

It's good to get heavy duty mesh bags. We started with some really cheapy lightweight ones, it was a pain to coax things in and I was always always fixing them. (Long since demoted to the kayak stuff which isn't as hard on the bags!)

Probably it's not the same bag as mine, I just checked the Tusa site, and the current one is diferent from mine too, but it looks as Tusa made some improovements to my bag, but seems that zipper heads are still metal.

My old Cressi Moby Bag, also had metal zipper heads, which got replaced twice before I graduated to Akona

Akona only uses plastic YKKs heavy zippers and got some nice bags too

Back
Top Bottom