Suggestions for lighting up flag/float during night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WI Scuba Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
West Bend, WI (about 30 miles north of Milwaukee)
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for lighting up a dive flag/float on a night dive?

I thought about those battery operated tank lights, but I don’t think they’d be bright enough. And I’m not sure if a glow stick would be either.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Thanks!!

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for lighting up a dive flag/float on a night dive?

I thought about those battery operated tank lights, but I don’t think they’d be bright enough. And I’m not sure if a glow stick would be either.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Thanks!

Any small light will do, including a tank light. Even Small lights against black water will be easily visible from a great distance. The Tektite mentioned above will be plenty. If it is a once in a blue moon activity, a glow stick/chem light will do. I don’t like them because they are single use plastics.

I usually use a chem-light. I tried strapping a cheap dive light (got some for $6 four or five years ago on ebay). I abandoned the lights because they're just too bright. If your flag happens to tip, you could blind the captain/crew of any nearby boats. I'm sure a dimmer light would do the trick, but all my dive lights are either too expensive to leave on my flag or too bright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom