Suggestions for January through July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poggus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been reading this section alot and really enjoy all the feedback and advice everyone gives. I was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction for an extended trip I'm taking to SE Asia in January. During this trip I really want to dive most of the time. Originally I was looking into one of those "internship" packages for the inclusivesness, but I think I'd rather split my time between two or three places. Right now I'm OW certified, but it's been awhile since I've been in the water (I've been in the Army for 5 years). I plan to take a refresher course at home before my trip. Basically I'm looking for good places to dive for extended periods of time around SE Asia.

I think I'd like to spend the first part of my trip around the Andaman, and work my way up to Master Scuba Diver. Can anyone recommend a shop that's cost friendly to people diving for 2 or 3 months straight? Is January a good time to go?

After that I'm kind of wide open... I've thought about Thresher Shark Divers, as I've heard good things about them. The island being secluded doesn't really bother me. Maybe even do a DM internship with them? I've also thought about Rainbow in Vietnam, as well as the shops in Koh Tao. I guess my question to everyone is: If you wanted to dive for 6 or 7 months around Asia and take alot of classes... I think I'd even like to give some beginner Tec courses a try.... where would you go?

The most important thing to me is quality of instruction and dives. I really look forward to your input!

Logan

edit: Thanks to everyone who's answered my PMs about this =]

Hey Poggus

Get onto Facebook and look at this group...seems to be right up your street!

HM Forces SCUBA Diving in Vietnam - Resettlement / ELC / Expeds

Good Luck

Paul

Hey Poggus

Get onto Facebook and look at this group...seems to be right up your street!

HM Forces SCUBA Diving in Vietnam - Resettlement / ELC / Expeds

Good Luck

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul... I really wish there was an equivalent program for United States veterans. Seems like they really take care of those who served in the U.K.!

I've heard good things about Rainbow Divers... what is the marine life like around their operation. And would you dive there for an extended period of time?

Hi Poggus,

If you are open to picking places in the South East Asian region as you seem to be then you have an enormous choice.

If you ask me it would be a shame to look at the likes of Vietnam alone. Vietnam is quite far north of where all the best action is - the Coral Triangle.

Places like Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand all offer much better diving and the kind of variety that will keep you entertained long term. After a few dives in Vietnam I doubt you will be seeing much new stuff.

So I think research is the key. This could be a good starting point for diving in South East Asia. Phuket is a great place for courses as there is lots of variety around and January to May are high season months in the West of Thailand. If you are planning to do multiple courses then there can be some good deals around if you check with the centre. it is also a fun place to stay for a few months.

Bali is good, Especially Lembongan and Tulamben. You dive from resorts here. Of course a Komodo liveaboard would be great but maybe a bit too much current if you havent dived for years. North Sulawesi is also excellent.

In fact, as I say there is loads of choice. Best bet is to do some reading around and narrow down your desired options.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

It does! Thanks for responding... that website is filled with info. I definitely think the first part of my trip will be around the Andaman Sea, as I've heard so many great things. I'm considering Phuket and Phi Phi. I noticed your location and was hoping there was a shop or two you might recommend in that region? I'd be looking to spend my first two months there and hopefully receive my MSD certification. Thanks!

Hi Poggus. I do know a good shop in Phuket yes, but I am connected with it! :) the website for the shop in Phuket is here. There are of course lots of dive shops in Phuket. The best advice is to go with an established one, like Dive The World.

Hi again poggus

There's no big stuff in Vietnam to see but the macro and 'unusal' critters & Nudis are outstanding.

I would suggest you spend a little time at each of their centres in Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Whale Island & Hoi An. This way you'll get a true picture of diving in Vietnam.

Paul

Hi Poggus,

At Aquanauts you can do as much or as little as you want. We actually offer somethng called the "4-step" internship that lets just do individual pieces, or the whole thing. Please see the link below.

Also, just an FYI, Thresher Shark in the Philippines is managed by a former Aquanauts intern and a couple other of our grads have worked there as well.

Coming over to SE Asia don't forget Japan. The southern islands of Japan have some of the most diverse dive sites in the world. In the timeframe you are looking at the hammerhead season is in full swing as is humpback whale migration- along with our outstanding reefs and wrecks which are around year round. Classes and diving during that time of year will keep you entertained for months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom