Suggestions for holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhatla

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are new divers looking for a Xmas holiday. We live in Western Canada and only have about 10 days, including travel. We have 3 kids ages 13, 16 & 19. We all have AOW.

We certified in Belize at Off the Wall (were with Slickrock)initially then went to Australia on Spirit of Freedom and did our AOW on the boat. Total dives is 35! We are beginners! We'd like somewhere where safety comes first, diving is not difficult or deep (not sure I would do Blue Hole yet). We would rent equipment so I would like it to be a place that keeps up their quality. The kids are all competitive swimmer so are comfortable in the water but I want to stay within our limits as beginners.

I have found the search of where to go a little overwhelming. We really liked the liveaboard in Australia. I liked Turneffe Flats or Turneffe Island Lodge comments on this site.

I had found some negative things about safety on the Peter Hughes liveaboard and Aggressor liveaboards on other sites that makes me reluctant to try them. We'd like somewhere with healthy reefs, lots of fish, perhaps hard to match Osprey Reef in Australia!
Any suggestions?

Depends on your budget. Consider The Tides hotel in San Pedro with its integral Patojo's Dive Centre.

Hi Sue

I already responded to your and email but thought I would post here also

I dont think you can go wrong with Turneffe Islands excellent resort and a beautiful island with top knotch dive staff and the resort always comes with top marks from past visiting divers.
The diving will suit your experience level and Turneffe will definately have quality gear rentals.

Liveaboards are also a great ways to see the very best diving in Belize and as for the Peter Hughs tragedy that was 9 years ago and was more of a mistake of decidding where to shelter from the Hurricane that a diving safety issue.

Ambergris Caye which is the location Peter suggested above is the main tourist hub in Belize and while the diving is nice its does not compare to Turneffe plus it can be challenging diving due to sea conditions, so for calmer diving again I would choose Turneffe which is located inside and Atoll and its much calmer diving and of course way better diving than Ambergris.

Ambergris however does have it attractions that that is there is lots more to do on Ambergris Caye than at Turneffe such as lots of Bars restaurants a couple of nightclubs access to the mainland for trips to Mayan ruins etc it just depends what your familly is looking for, if it just GREAT diving and a relaxing time then again Turneffe hands down. If you looking for a bit more action with some nice diving and access to the mainland lots of different palces to eat etc then Ambergris Caye fits the bill.

Hope this helps please feel free to ask away

Gaz Cooper

In all honesty if you are looking at Belize - The Country has alot more to offer than just diving.
I would pick some place like Thatch Caye and do a combination of inland activites and diving activities.

The Thatch Caye

My kids are 20 and 23. They have dove all over the Carb. including liveaboards.
Belize inland was their favorite vacation ever.

This Christmas we are doing Costa Rica BTY - Kids voted to go there - we have never been.

You could consider Placencia. There is lots of good but easy diving here plus being on the mainland gives you options if you get some windy days and it is too rough to dive. You can get a lot of info on the dive sites on our website at splashbelize.com. At Splash we have a kids club where we teach local kids whose parents cannot afford diving lessons to dive for free - so we have lots of experience with kids. If you want additional information you can also e-mail my partner Patty at patricia@splashbelize.com.
By the way, how do you think the election will go? Doesn't seem like we need on this soon!
Regards
Ralph

Back
Top Bottom