Suggestions for first reg purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think anything you have is "too old". If they are quoting both parts and labor $75 to $90 is not a bad price to have it serviced. For parts only, it maybe a bit high unless they are converting the 109 to a BA for you. For the 108, $25 for parts is outragous. I would fleebay the MK-7 it would go for about $35-$40 and like halocline said pick up a MK-5 or MK-10 for maybe $10-$20 more.

nope, that's parts only... I dug up the email responses I got. The first one (translation follows):
Malheusement ce détendeur n’est pas réparable. Désole.
[FONT=&amp]Si vous avez des questions ou demandes, n'hésitez pas à me rejoindre[/FONT]
(translation: Unfortunately that regulator is not serviceable. Sorry. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.)

and the second one, who would do it...
The best thing would be to bring it in, so we can evaluate the condition of the regulator.
The parts are still available, the kits for the MK 7 is $35.99, for the second stages 2 x $23.99, our labor for a regulator service is $69.99. With a regulator that old, there could be hoses that require replacing, also I will have to find out if I can get an adaptor to add the inflator hose.
so $84 for parts, $70 for labor = $154 minimum... at that price it definitely wouldn't be getting annual service and I don't know if that would give me an upgrade of the 109 or not.

DIN will grow with you if you ever get into tech. And certain brands still include a lifetime warranty including free parts for annual service. That can add up big time over the life of the reg if you service it regularly.

hmm, let's see... attached to that 109, I've got an MK7 (which weighs a ton), with a 108 octo and an SPG... I inquired a while back about getting it serviced. One shop said essentially, "Sorry, too old". The other said we can do that, but the prices they were quoting for parts kits were kinda steep (about $25-30 per stage. I asked on here about it and was told they shouldn't cost that much.). I've also got a pair of Jet fins that are older than I am, but that's about all there is of interest down there.

If your MK7 is a later model with the heavy yoke, and it's in good shape, I'd trade a MK5 for it freshly serviced, and if you want you can send me your 109 and 108, and I'll rebuild them as well as part of the deal, we'll have to work out the details for parts but it won't be much. Then you'd have a classic regulator set that can (and undoubtedly has on hundreds of dives) go to the Andrea Doria. The MK7 is functionally the same as a MK5, but as you noted, it's a big hunk of brass due to the extra side for the low-air warning chamber and parts. I am NOT an authorized scubapro repair tech, just a hobbyist, so if that concerns you I understand.

Although the MK5 is an un-sealed piston 1st stage, the pairing with the 109 2nd should make it quite freeze-resistant, and if you want to use it in extremely cold water, like sub 45F, you could pack the chamber with PTFE grease; then you ice dive with it no problem.

If your dive shop is telling you that the 109 and MK7 are "too old" they simply don't understand regulators or they're trying to sell you something. Now, there is a caveat; if your MK7 is one of the earlier ones with the light yoke, it's basically a doorstop because (as you can easily see) the yoke is cast into the body. You could use it with low pressure tanks, (2250PSI I guess) but you don't want to fly with that 1st stage anyway. My regular dive buddy uses one for local diving all the time....it's a couple of pounds less lead he has to use.

Getting back to the parts cost your dive shop mentioned, the MK7 kit is probably fairly pricey because it's a MK5 kit with some added o-rings, and I bet that the retail price on a MK5 kit is $25. The 109, if it's been converted, uses the G250 kit, and that's probably $25. If it has not, it needs a duro poppet ($20 retail?) or, if you're lucky, it already has one and all you need is the seat and a single o-ring. The 108 needs a R190-type kit, probably $15 retail (a major rip-off, BTW, considering what's in the "kit") and maybe one additional o-ring. If the rubber parts on the 2nd stages are dried out and must be replaced, that adds probably $20-25 to each reg, and it's not easy to find the 108 diaphragm cover. So all in all, I don't think the parts costs quoted you were out of line for a dealer. The issue is that the companies' (scubapro and others) pricing on rebuild kits, which usually include a seat and a few o-rings, is outrageous, and is done so primarily to artificially inflate the value of their 'free' parts for life program.

halocline, thanks for the detailed response. Based on a quick internet search, I think it was one of the first ones rated for 3000psi (I believe they were 2400 or something before... specifically it's this one: First ). Your offer is tempting but I'll have to pass, at least for now. The reg technically is not mine, it's my mom's, and while I'm probably free to get it serviced/upgraded for my own use, I'm not sure about selling/trading. (I also shudder to think of the possible shipping costs for it) I'll keep the MK5 idea in mind for a possible pony reg in the future, but for now I'm thinking I'd like something that'll take whatever I want throw at it without having to do anything (eg grease) first.

The shop I now frequent is the one willing to service it, so I figure at least parts of it will see water again. I think that it's sort of a shame that it's been on fewer dives than I have and then got relegated to the basement for probably 25 years before my mom pulled it out to show me 5 years ago when I got interested in learning to dive.

Condition-wise, it's looks like it's in good shape, but I suppose looks can be deceiving. I may really only have a shiny doorstop with a couple of shiny paperweights attached, who knows, but I can't help but smile at the idea of an upgraded shiny old 109 connected next to a shiny new A700.

I'll keep the MK5 in mind, but I'm still looking for other suggestions.

Your MK7 is the 'middle' one, marked 3000 PSI but with a somewhat lighter yoke than the later one that I would be interested in. It's definitely not a doorstop, though, you can use it with most current tanks no problem.

IMO a MK5 is wasted as a pony reg. Maybe the older 2-lp port ones, but those invariably have the lighter yokes. MK2s are excellent for ponies, maybe better in some ways. There are lots of threads about that if you want to search for them. Of course you'll have to wade through the multitude of opinions about whether pony use in recreational diving is a good safety measure or self-delusion. :wink:

I'm a little confused when looking through the classifieds (here, E-bay, etc.). I am looking for a "regulator". What I want is the apparatus with the hoses, pressure gauge, breather (I think it's called "first stage"?), emergency breather for your buddy ("second stage"?) that you just simply attach to your tank and BCD.

Sometimes, when I enter "regulator", I just get a few parts of what I am looking for.

Should I be looking for a "regulator" or would I be looking for an "octopus"? I am a little confused with the technical terminology.

I'm a little confused when looking through the classifieds (here, E-bay, etc.). I am looking for a "regulator". What I want is the apparatus with the hoses, pressure gauge, breather (I think it's called "first stage"?), emergency breather for your buddy ("second stage"?) that you just simply attach to your tank and BCD.

Sometimes, when I enter "regulator", I just get a few parts of what I am looking for.

Should I be looking for a "regulator" or would I be looking for an "octopus"? I am a little confused with the technical terminology.
@JoJo Armani: "Regulator" is a very general term. It means different things to different people. That's why seeing a photo of the item for sale is useful.

A "regulator setup" or "regulator rig" usually refers to a ready-to-dive package: one first stage, two second stages (the primary + the octo/backup), a submersible pressure gauge (SPG), and a low pressure inflater hose.
Nowadays, "octopus" usually refers just to the octo/backup second stage that one would use to share air with an out-of-air buddy. An octopus is generally sold as a yellow-colored second stage attached to a yellow reg hose.
In a dive shop, the primary reg is typically sold as a package consisting of: (1) the primary second stage, (2) a black reg hose, and (3) a first stage.
In a dive shop, the SPG + high pressure hose is usually sold separately.
Of course, a dive shop employee is always more than willing to put together a "reg package" for you. :D

All bets are off when you shop for dive gear on Ebay or Craigslist. The term "reg" is not specific enough. Ask to see a picture of exactly what's for sale.
For Craigslist purchases, I insist on seeing the equipment in-person and functionally testing everything before committing to buying the gear.
For Ebay purchases, I won't even bother bidding on an item unless the pictures, item description, and direct communication with the seller give me a decent idea of the current condition of the equipment (functional status) and what might need to be repaired/replaced in the near future.

I always consider the cost of servicing a reg before bidding on it or committing to buying it. YMMV.

Hope this helps...

Just got a holiday ideas email (aka advertisement) from the lds. They mentioned SP's upcoming change to its free parts policy with a picture of a guess what, an mk17/g250v... so I might be headed in tomorrow after work to see what kind of price they have for the setup and if they have any other suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom