Suggestions for first reg purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm thinking my next gear purchase is going to be a reg (already have computer and bc, so I'll have rental-free travelling). I want something that's
-cold-water capable for local diving (and possibly ice diving down the road)
-light weight for easy travelling and packing
-easy (relatively speaking) to get serviced
-going to be able to grow with me and my diving. I don't see myself getting into tech, but I don't want an entry-level reg that I'm going to want to replace in a few years.

I would like to buy locally if I can. Brands that I know are available at multiple local shops: Mares, ScubaPro, Oceanic, Zeagle, Sherwood and SubGear (my new preferred LDS lists all of these brands on their website). Genesis, Tusa, Atomic and Cressi are available at a shop I've never been to across town, and my old LDS sells Aqualung, Apeks and Beuchat.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of being tied to one shop for servicing so Beuchat is pretty much out since it will probably be next to impossible to get serviced if I relocate for a couple of years (unless I go to Europe).

Any suggestions of models worth looking into or features that are/are not worth considering would be greatly appreciated.

All of the brands you listed are good. You need to consider serviceability, cost, diving conditions (warm water, travel doubles etc) and performance. Based on these requirements I can highly recommend Scubapro. If you dive warm water (above 46f/8 Celsius) you can use mk11/mk17/mk25 with S600/A700. I can highly recommend mk25/S600, if you plan on double/tech diving later on MK17/S600. If you plan on cold water diving (below 46f) look at the mk17/G250v combo and will also be perfect for tech.

Speak to your instructor, he might even get you a better price.

Based on your needs: cold water, tech (possibly), global dealer network (for access to servicing)...

Here are a few recommendations:
  • Apeks XTX50
  • Aqualung Legend (LX if you want a diver-adjustable breathing knob)
  • Scubapro MK17/G250V

Stick with one of the well-established, major manufacturers out there since you might relocate to some unknown location in the future.

Bubbles has given you a good list.
I'd only add to it with HOG and that any dry sealed Apeks will be good (only a machine will be able to tell any difference between the least and most expensive).
Plus it looks like you've been hanging out here long enough to already know what's going to be recommended.

I have no issues with my Mares Abyss in the 33*F waters in the St Lawrence. I would say whatever you can get readily serviced in your area. It seems as though just about every manufacturer has an item that will meet your needs. For added insurance I just had a CW Dry kit installed on my first stage.

If I were buying new regs these days I'd take a good look at HOG, but if you're in the U.S. and caribbean and you use rental tanks, get a yoke fitting, not an adapter.

You could practically walk into a dive shop blindfolded, grab anything, and it would work fine for recreational diving. For really cold water use (drysuit only temps) get a sealed 1st stage. I'd avoid the sherwood SR-1, no offense to sherwood but there are MANY better options out there.

Turns out there's one HOG dealer near me (new shop that opened in the last couple of months) but that still gives me the one shop servicing option which I'm not thrilled about and I'm not prepared to learn to do it myself. My most recent rental was an SP mk11/s555 and the only thing I didn't like about it was the mouthpiece (which may not have been original, given that it's a rental) so the mk17/g250v is probably the frontrunner of what's been mentioned here so far, partly based on there being dealers seemingly everywhere. Plus, I was told in a previous thread that the old R109 I've got in my basement can be overhauled and turned into essentially a second g250v.

Fishpie, I do have an idea of what might be mentioned here, but amount of options available from different manufacturers can be somewhat overwhelming. I'm looking for a shorter list to start with.

Plus, I was told in a previous thread that the old R109 I've got in my basement can be overhauled and turned into essentially a second g250v.

What else do you have in the basement? You might not need to buy anything if you can scare up an old 1st stage that goes with the 109. In fact, you could buy a late model (5 port) MK5 or MK10, another 109, and you'd have a terrific regulator-you're unlikely to ever need anything better-and some money left over.

hmm, let's see... attached to that 109, I've got an MK7 (which weighs a ton), with a 108 octo and an SPG... I inquired a while back about getting it serviced. One shop said essentially, "Sorry, too old". The other said we can do that, but the prices they were quoting for parts kits were kinda steep (about $25-30 per stage. I asked on here about it and was told they shouldn't cost that much.). I've also got a pair of Jet fins that are older than I am, but that's about all there is of interest down there.

I do not think anything you have is "too old". If they are quoting both parts and labor $75 to $90 is not a bad price to have it serviced. For parts only, it maybe a bit high unless they are converting the 109 to a BA for you. For the 108, $25 for parts is outragous. I would fleebay the MK-7 it would go for about $35-$40 and like halocline said pick up a MK-5 or MK-10 for maybe $10-$20 more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom