Suggestions for Belize/Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello-
This is my first post on scuba board. I am going diving in Belize and Honduras this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Know a reputable dive shop? Good dive site? Just looking for a little advice. I am taking a cruise ship and would prefer to go on my own rather than sign up for the cruise directed shore excursion dive trips. I have never been to either place before. Any advice would help. Thanks!
Elaine

welcome aboard! i moved your question here to try and get you better answers.

You don't indicate where your ship will be docking. In Belize City, I'd recommend Hugh Parkey's outfit - http://www.belizediving.com/hpbzdvcon.html. I have not personally dove with them (I prefer to get out closer to the reef and stay there), but have heard good things about the personnel & their professionalism.

Last I knew, some ships anchored out and brought you in on tenders - Hugh's ships leave from north of town (not at the govenment docks), but he may pick you up there - not sure. I'd find out where you make port, then give the shop you choose a call and see what your options are.

elaineplatt:
Hello-
This is my first post on scuba board. I am going diving in Belize and Honduras this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Know a reputable dive shop? Good dive site? Just looking for a little advice. I am taking a cruise ship and would prefer to go on my own rather than sign up for the cruise directed shore excursion dive trips. I have never been to either place before. Any advice would help. Thanks!
Elaine

Use the "search" feature here to research this oft asked question. Try words like: cruise scuba roatan or: cruise scuba belize

Roatan simple answer: Go with the cruise ship's people to Anthony's Key.

Roatan better answer: Go with Subway Watersports located at French Harbour Yacht Club. I'd contact them via the net and make arrangements first. They are a professional op with fast day boats. First Class. :11ztongue

Roatan best answer: Go to CoCoView and look the place over while you dive the Prince Albert wreck. You might find the best reason to not arrive in Roatan by cruise ship. :07:

Belize: The ship docks far far away from most "real" dive ops of Belize, as most dive locations are quite a ways away from Belize City, more located on the Belize Keys.

Dive site recommendations? You're pretty much so going where they're going to take you. Very few ops will cater to a one-time diver of unknown abilities. In Roatan, for instance, if they take you to the (over-rated) Mary's Place, they are quite likely breaking a Honduran Law. :11: Nevertheless some will take you there right from a cruise ship. Is that the hallmark of a quality dive op with good standards?

Search this board for archived comments.

Thanks so much for the input/advice. Sounds like it is going to be kind of hard to do anything really cool due to time constraints. I'll try my best though. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom