Suggestions for a non-diving week in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at the can of worms (and mosquitos, and gators, and dolphin, and tarpon and etc) that you done went and opened up, LOL!

To repeat what everyone else said. There are many things to do. I personally could spend a week on Miami's South beach sipping Mojito's, trying the international cusine and watching the models in thongs. At the same time I could pack some gear and canoe the Peace river for a week and not here a phone ring for a straight 168 hours.. BLISS.

Orlando can keep any family busy. I lived there for about 7 years and have still not seen everything.

You can spend a week in the Keys easyily enough. plenty to see and do.. or in TRUE Keys fashion.. sit back.. no way back.. further.. slouch... there yougo.. ahhhh......

The Keys are my favorite part of Fla. In addition to No Name on BPK. I'd also suggest going to Fish Cutters on Summerland Key- get the BLT (Bacon Lobster and Tomato sandwich) My mouth is watering just thinking about it. There also are a number of great Tiki Bars throughout the keys. If you go to Key West, I would recomend a lot of that aren't on Duval Street (Schooner Warf Bar- Try to catch a Michael McCloud performance while you are there, he is very Jimmy Buffett- esque). The Mel Fischer Museam is also cool (lots of wreck treasures). On a more touristy note- sunset at Mallory Square and a photo op at Southern most point are not to be missed. I havent' been there yet, but I know my parents really enjoyed the Dolphin Research Center when they came to visit me last year.

Miami- South Beach is a must- lots to see there- Lots of 50s Art Deco Hotels (don't miss the Deleno), Lots of latin Flair- Mangos (a salsa and merenge night club) is definatly up there on the list. One word of note in Miami- is be careful not to get lost- there are some REAL BAD parts of Miami too.

Enjoy your trip!

Bok Tower and Gardens in Lake Wales is always worth a visit and while I wouldn't make a special trip for it, once you're in Lake Wales you might want to see Spook Hill.

Not far from Lake Wales, in Ona is Solomon's Castle which is a fun place to spend half a day.

Head to the Gulf coast in Sarasota and you can visit Mote Marine Aquarium and Laboratory.

Head south for some history at the winter homes of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford in Fort Myers.

Ready for some nature at an old time Florida attraction? Just south of Fort Myers in Bonita Springs is Everglades Wonder Gardens which has been family owned and operated since 1936. It's one of the few places you can see the North American Crocodile.

Between Naples and Immokalee is the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary with a 2½ mile boardwalk through 11,000 acres of at least 6 different habitats.

These are some of my favorite places to visit in Florida.

Awesome suggestions Walter. I have bookmarked them all and will refer to them in the future when guests arrive and want to do something different.

Closer to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area is Butterfly World in Coconut Creek, just west and slightly north of Ft. Lauderdale;
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca; Sawgrass Mills for shopping in Sunrise; Everglades National Park in Homestead, stop by the fruit stand for some delicious shakes; and Clyde Butcher's Photography.

Your list? I would very much like to the next time I am in that neck of the woods. Colin has been bugging me to see the Henry Ford and Thomas Edison houses. My dad may be coming down in a couple months and those are just the places that he would love.

Clyde Butcher (had?) has some of his work in one of the terminals at Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Amazing to be next to a photograph 8' x 10' or bigger.

It looks like I'll have to extend my stay with a few months to get through all the recommendations you've given me.

Some new questions:
* I hadn't thought about it before but it will be the fourth of July while we're there. Any place we should definitely be / not be for the celebrations?
* I'd like to treat the missus to a luxurious pampering spa day. Any suggestions?
* Any hotel recommendations for Orlando?

Laurens

So what exactly is your itinerary? There is a ton of stuff to do in Florida all over the place, and no matter what you plan, you're gonna miss out on some cool stuff.
South Beach was a GREAT place to live when I first moved to Florida - I spent 9 months there in a crappy apartment until I moved into a hotel near the Nikki Beach Club and Joe's Stone Crab.
Some days in Boca Raton, I kinda miss it.
In Orlando, I stayed at the Portofino at Universal - it was pretty nice. We got unreal Florida rates though. Walt Disney World has some killer hotels too - and you're going to spend big guilders on a room there too.
Any major city down here has killer spas. Lots of bucks and worth every shekel.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom