Suggestions for a diving & surfing vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weinerr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a caribbean vacation in early April for a family of 5 (3 boys ages 10, 14, and 17). My son (13 yo) and I will be diving for for a few days (6-8 dives) before the rest of the family (all non-divers) join us. All three boy would like to learn to surf. My son and I were recently (Jun-08) certified and have completed ~20 post certification dives (Curacao and Cozumel). I greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Rincon in Puerto Rico also has good surfing in the winter time. It has some shore diving. But the good from Rincon would be the 45-min boat ride to Desecheo island. Very good viz and coral growth. Can also go south to La Parquera for good wall diving.

If you would go further, Hawaii has have good surfing and nice beaches, and the weather is so nice. Diving is pretty good too. You'll find lots others to do/see.

I'm sure other people can add more suggestions.

Kona would be my vote, Pacific diving was much different than the carribean, and interesting, I had wanted to learn how to surf for years, Kona was the ticket, had a great time doing both.

I'm planning a caribbean vacation in early April for a family of 5 (3 boys ages 10, 14, and 17). My son (13 yo) and I will be diving for for a few days (6-8 dives) before the rest of the family (all non-divers) join us. All three boy would like to learn to surf. My son and I were recently (Jun-08) certified and have completed ~20 post certification dives (Curacao and Cozumel). I greatly appreciate your suggestions.
Hawaii is probably the best place for surfing and learning to surf but April is colder season there.

Since you asked about Caribbean:

Bonaire has wind surfing, looks like fun!!
Bonaire WebCams - The Works - All the WebCams and Weather and UW Temperature on One Page!
Info Bonaire - World Championship Windsurfing for Beginners through Experts

Belize has wind surfing, along with lots of other topside activities like ziplines, tubing through caves, jungle tours, Mayan ruins... might be more that the non-divers would enjoy.
Belize Attractions, Suggested Itineraries, Tours & day trip, Things to do, Sightseeing, diving, scuba, snorkeling, fishing, Ambergris Caye

those are the only places I can think of with really good beginner diving and also something close to surfing for the non-divers.

robin:D

All of the suggestions above are great, but thought I would throw in Barbados as an extra option. For serious surfers, the season April can be a unpredictable as far as if there will be enough swell, but for beginners the conditions will be decent year round.

The surfing is a different part of the island to the optimum diving, but as it sounds like your trip will almost be in two parts, you and your son could concentrate on diving at the start of the week, and then move to the surfing area when your family joins you, as well as enjoy the top-side activities available.

Back
Top Bottom