Suggestions for a Buoyancy Clinic Power Point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several comments:

1. The most powerful Vugraph (yes, pre-PP) presentation I ever saw was from a Navy Admiral who used a single Vugraph with a single straight line drawn on it. He showed it with the page tilted so the line was going moderately upwards, from left to right, and said that was the graph of the Navy budget when he was a midshipman. Then he turned the line flat, and said that was the budget when he became a LtCmd. Then he turned it downwards, and said that was the budget when he became a CAPT. The he turned it vertical, and said that was the brick wall he hit when he discussed the budget with Congressmen. And so on. An entire talk, presented with one simple straight line. That was maybe 25 years ago, and I still remember it.

2. In addition to scuba, I also teach dancing (PM me if you want more info!). Getting people to learn new steps requires showing, trying, feedback, repeat over and over. Start slow, go faster. It is JUST like teaching new fin kicks, except you can talk while you are doing it. But you know what? If you talk about why it is important, all the historical info, etc., while you are doing it, you ruin the see-try-feedback-repeat loop with extraneous information. The student needs to focus, get into the zone, not be thinking about history or when the bus will get him home.

3. Feedback on performance is essential. Tbone's mirror is a good idea, but not all students can use that effectively. A video of the performance can be VERY helpful. Here's the psychological part: the student needs to get a valid image of what it SHOULD look like, and then compare his own performance with the mental image. That is a lot to ask of someone seeing a frog/back/helicopter kick for the first time. So the instructor's role is (a) to help the student capture the mental image of perfection, and then (b) point out where in the student's effort improvement is needed. The instructor needs to use language that is about HOW to achieve the improvements, not just give the objectives.

4. Some people like to see the whole picture with all the background, and then fill in the details; others like to start with the details, and develop their understanding of the big picture. Shinythings is clearly in the first group. But everybody can grapple with the latter approach....whereas not everbody does well with the first approach.

PowerPoint is like McDonalds: dependable mediocrity.
A buoyancy clinic need to do better than that.

If Shinythings can't be heard on the pool deck, then stop talking, and just show. Use Flip Charts. use Demos. Use a GoPro.
Go to the pool, take videos, go to the classroom and show them and comment on them, go to the pool again. Etc.

If he absolutely MUST start in the classroom, then just show videos of what it SHOULD look like....get that mental image embedded.

P.S.
A student looking at a mirror or a video is usually overwhelmed....too much info, too much going on, too much to look at all at once. Help them focus on some piece of the whole kick so they can compare just one thing they are doing with the same one thing in the role-model. For example, thigh position, or ankle movement. Keep them focused on the critical elements of the movement, not just what they happen to see,

Last edited:
I am with RJP on this. Power point add nauseam was a crutch developed by middle management pukes who needed to explain themselves to the dumb asses that hired them.

Rely on your mastery of the topic you are presenting, and your ability to adjust to your students learning style.

That strategy has served me well teaching my peers, on a college level since 2000.

YMMV

Eric

Agree the 5thD-X videos are great and break everything down with thorough explanations. Have your students watch those first and then film them under water during a pool session, debrief with the video you shot afterwards.

+1 at those 5thD-X videos... they gave me a perfect beginning point for what i was trying to accomplish... when I wasn't getting it i came here for advice on why... you would be the person that would tell them why they aren't getting it...

Can you elaborate on the last point about the AL80 tanks?

AL80s (with valve) are about 1.5 pounds negative when full, about 4.5 pounds positive when empty. So moving a full tank up or down in the band does what is expected: a lower tank moves weight toward your legs, and drops your legs. But if the tank is nearly empty, moving the tank lower on your back moves buoyancy toward your legs, and raises them. The psi and tank position of the pos-neg cross-over depends on the weight of your first stage, which is maybe about 2 pounds. (So an AL80 that has about 2000 psi in it (like a stage you are dropping) will be slightly negative, and will rest upside down, with the heavy part (the valve and reg) down.)

Adjusting the trim of someone with an AL80 is therefore tricky....best that the tank be in a mid-position on the BP/BCD, so whether it is full or empty it doesn't change your fort-aft trim ("pitch").

Can you elaborate on the last point about the AL80 tanks?
When moving a steel tank you're sliding weight forward or rearwards and the balance moves as you would expect. When moving an AL80 you're actually shifting buoyancy by moving the butt bubble and it's apparent even when full. The further the butt bubble is moved forward, the further rearward the COG moves. It's not even linear as the butt bubble is using the amount of tank below the bottom cam band as a lever arm. Put a full AL 80 in a pool with a reg attached and you'll see the butt floating regardless of the fill but it does get worse as the tank empties. A similar steel tank just lays flat on the bottom. The forum is filled with threads from divers who are completely flummoxed on how to achieve trim because of this phenomenon.

The further the butt bubble is moved forward, the further rearward the COG moves.

Hmmm... I think I'm missing something.

Center of gravity and center of buoyancy are two slightly different things.

An AL 80 has both weight and buoyancy. Moving such a tank "forward" (assuming you mean towards the head) moves the weight of the valve/reg as well as the buoyancy of the butt-bubble towards the head. Accordingly, both the COG and COB should move forward... not backward.

Perhaps I'm misreading something?

You're missing the importance of the lever arm afforded to the AL80's butt bubble. Everyone looks only at shifting the moment of weight, when they should be looking at the shift of the moment of buoyancy on an AL80. As I said, it's counter intuitive for most.

You're missing the importance of the lever arm afforded to the AL80's butt bubble. Everyone looks only at shifting the moment of weight, when they should be looking at the shift of the moment of buoyancy on an AL80. As I said, it's counter intuitive for most.

That would only be true if the camband was a fixed pivot point that moved along with the tank. Since the camband neither a pivot point nor fixed - and in fact there is NO fixed pivot point on a diver - I can't see how moving a buoyant force towards the head shifts the center of buoyancy towards the feet.

Of course the contrary point DOES make sense... moving the tank TOWARDS THE FEET in an attempt to shift weight (a downward force) towards the feet DOES also move the upward buoyant force towards the feet. This is counter-intuitive. But it does also move the weight of the valve and reg closer to the feet, so that does offset some of the buoyancy shift and does have the effect of moving the center of gravity closer to the feet AT THE BEGINNING OF THE DIVE. But, as you point out, as the tank is drained the butt-bubble becomes more positively buoyant... moving the center of buoyancy during the course of the dive closer and closer to the feet.

The rotation/pivot point on a diver is located at the spot in the middle of the COG and the COB.

The idea is to try to align the center of gravity with the center of buoyancy. Because these are two different things - and located at two different points on the human body - the diver will tend to rotate until the center of gravity sits at a point directly below the center of buoyancy and perfectly perpendicular to the earth.

buoyant_a.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom