Suggestions for a 10 day trip in May/June 2011?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mofongo_max

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone suggest a region in PI that should have decent conditions in May/June (if there isn't a giant storm)? I've only been in Nov/Dec and I'm not sure what the conditions could be like at this other time of the year. Considering the effort it takes to get over there, when I pick a spot I'd like some relative assurance conditions could be good.

I've been to PG/Verde Island, Anilao and Bohol (mostly Balicasag) and am looking for a new place to explore.

My interests are much more wide-angle (pelagics, schools, healthy reefs/walls) vs. macro.

I'm not super rich, so please don't taunt me with $3k+ LOBs. I'm completely comfortable "roughing it". Running water and electricity to charge batteries is all I need.

Thanks!

How about Malapascua and Moalboal? The Visayas are apparently less prone to Typhoons/ storms... And you could have some good pelagic encounters...

Just a suggestion...:coffee:

There are no guarantees of sighting pelagics, they follow the food which follows the current and weather.

Malapascua is good for thresher sharks, but I think they are seasonal, and you will be too late. They typically go to a cleaning station at 5AM and divers wait there, it's fairly deep so not a lot of bottom time. Check it. I saw them at Moalboal in January, literally slapping a school of sardines with that thresher tail, then zooming back to eat the stunned sardines. No promises, but that day we were lucky. The schools of sardines were also stunning.

Sogod and Donsol are great for whale sharks, but again I think the peak is March/April. Check it. They only allow snorkling at Donsol, I've heard, and no flash or video lights. Those poor sharks are timid, don't you know?

There is a regular gathering of sweetlips at a dive site called Canyons near Puerto Galera. There is a regular school of jacks off the Kogon? dive site at Apo Island. Otherwise Dauin and Apo are more for macro.

Maybe you should contact a dive shop near where you want to go to find out what's around at a given time.

Subic Bay is a fine detour from Manila, that can be bolted on to any other tours. It takes 2.5 hours to get there by bus from Manila (230pesos each way). Over a dozen spectacular wrecks and some very enjoyable reefs. You can do a day-trip there, or spend 3-5 days to visit all the wrecks. There's a wide variety of accomodation to suit any budget and taste.

Here's my article on diving in Subic: Wreck Dive Subic Bay

The Threshers are at Monad Shoals (Malapascua) pretty much year round, although apparently there are seasons that are better than others...

There are no guarantees of sighting pelagics, they follow the food which follows the current and weather.

Malapascua is good for thresher sharks, but I think they are seasonal, and you will be too late. They typically go to a cleaning station at 5AM and divers wait there, it's fairly deep so not a lot of bottom time. Check it. I saw them at Moalboal in January, literally slapping a school of sardines with that thresher tail, then zooming back to eat the stunned sardines. No promises, but that day we were lucky. The schools of sardines were also stunning.

Sogod and Donsol are great for whale sharks, but again I think the peak is March/April. Check it. They only allow snorkling at Donsol, I've heard, and no flash or video lights. Those poor sharks are timid, don't you know?

There is a regular gathering of sweetlips at a dive site called Canyons near Puerto Galera. There is a regular school of jacks off the Kogon? dive site at Apo Island. Otherwise Dauin and Apo are more for macro.

Maybe you should contact a dive shop near where you want to go to find out what's around at a given time.

I would go to Bali again. I heard weather in June is better and it's right before peak tourist season. Mantas in the eastern part, start of the mola mola season, and you can explore Amed's reefs more. I'd do all that in 4 days and since I'm ambitious, I'd also fly to Manado and check out Bunaken which is supposedly wide angle/reef galore. If you get sick of fishy reefs, Lembeh's weird critters are just right there too. If you really must go to PI, buck up and save for a Tubbataha liveaboard. Season ends in June.

I was thinking Indo again, exactly what you mentioned, maybe Bali and/or Bunaken. PI is more on the radar for the convenience and cost of getting there from SFO. It would be peak for Tubbataha, but I'm trying not to spend a ton. I was looking around Luzon for more options. But after Anilao and PG, what's left isn't really getting me that excited. The Subic wrecks do look cool, but the vis doesn't. So now I'm focused on the Visayas. Yeah there's the added cost of flying from Manila. But it should be cheaper and afford more time diving than a Tubbataha LOB (which would consume almost the entire trip for only 4 days diving). Right now I'm planning out what it would look like flying from Manila to Cebu and splitting my time between Moalboal and somewhere in the south (either Cebu or Negros) that will get me to Apo Island.

I need to look at Malapascua some more as well. The beaches there definitely look beautiful. And 0:35 of this video!... YouTube - Tresher sharks in Malapascua

The sardines in Moalboal, nice... YouTube - The Billion Sardine Dance HD

I've seen some really cheap rates listed at resorts for a nipa or Non-A/C room. After 4 dives a day, in a 3mm and a bald head my core temp is pretty low. Considering whether I can hang without A/C.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

May is prime season for great shark and ray action in Malapascua... also you'll get flat seas and hot sunshine.

In addition we can do running water and electricity...so it sounds like your perfect destination :)

Matt, I also saw something on your site about Aphex Twin, The Orb and Nightmares on Wax being available for play in your bar (and more importantly, NO Lady Gaga). I'll be reaching out for a quote soon. If you tell me you serve Harp at the Craic, I'll book today. :)

Bali is a great choice for that time of year; we have the year round Manta Rays and the Oceanic Sunfish just start making their yearly appearances around this time of year over at Nusa Penida.

We can custom arrange your diving holiday to suit your needs in a Bali Dive Safari, so scheduling accommodation and transport arrangements are all taken care of.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/blueseason.bali

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom