Suggestion: which strobe for SP-350?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

visa67

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am quite new here (this is my first thread); I am Vito, from Italy....south of italy !

I have a Oly Sp-350 that I use with pt-030 housing, and it is time to buy a strobe for it!!!

I am new in th photography so I do know much about the external flash (even on land).

I would have some suggestions first about the "criterias" to chose it (temp. of light, angle, ttl...) then a suggestion from SP-350 user about their experiences with the different strobes.

I have read about some devices (Heinrich...) to connect the strobe to the camera....what they do, and I should need one?

Than (of course) a suggestion (better from SP- user) about the brand/model.

I am thinking about the Oly UFL-01, or Sea&Sea YS110.....

Thanks in advance for Your reply.

Ciao to all.
vito

Here's a link to a comparison guide of current strobes:

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

Here's a strobe positioning chart (courtesy of Bobof):

http://www.kelpfish.net/strobe.swf

Here's the link from the top of the page with input from gilligan and alcina, very worthwhile information.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ti...ter-photography-buying-your-first-camera.html

With the SP-350 you have a very good basic camera. I found that dual strobes really improved my results. Now to figure out an approach for you.

The Olympus strobe is certainly a good buy, especially if TTL is included. You could use this one with an optically triggered strobe as well, as your budget permits.

The YS 110 would require a Heinrich-Weilkamp adapter for extra cost. This would be a good choice if you intend to graduate into a more advanced system later.

Finally, if you read alcina's post TTL isn't essential. I have two strobes like the YS-25. For a single strobe this was too weak for my shooting style. However, two of them work pretty well. If I had it to do over I might consider the OLY UFL-01 and a YS-27.

i am using ikelite housing for my 350. I was considering of getting the new ikelite ds-160 but now i wanna get diverite HID10 watt because the colour is much more extreme than the ds160. However, i am into wide angle shots than macro.So u should lookat at dive rite cannister light as alternative to strobe. Hope this helps.

I have the same camera and housing as you do. I bought the TTL adaptor for the SP-350 and a YS-110 strobe. I also bought the INON wide angle lens.

I am very pleased with my results. The YS-110 is powerful enough to be used by itself but can be also paired. I am planning in the near future to go to two strobes.

i am using ikelite housing for my 350. I was considering of getting the new ikelite ds-160 but now i wanna get diverite HID10 watt because the colour is much more extreme than the ds160. However, i am into wide angle shots than macro.So u should lookat at dive rite cannister light as alternative to strobe. Hope this helps.

This isn't actually very good advice...

The warm color temp or the DS-160 is actually beneficial for wide angle shooting in many ways. Flesh tones look nicer than with cool color temp lights/strobes, red & orange are "redder and oranger", and since less color correction has to be done to foreground subjects blue water backgrounds don't lose their nice, natural sapphire hue.

I don't expect any 10w HID light will give you the coverage needed for wide angle shooting, either.

I have the same camera and housing as you do. I bought the TTL adaptor for the SP-350 and a YS-110 strobe. I also bought the INON wide angle lens.

I am very pleased with my results. The YS-110 is powerful enough to be used by itself but can be also paired. I am planning in the near future to go to two strobes.

thx for the info, i didn't know u can get the ttl adaptor for ike housing for non-ike strobes? where did u get the adaptor from?

thanks

Hi,
I am quite new here (this is my first thread); I am Vito, from Italy....south of italy !

I have a Oly Sp-350 that I use with pt-030 housing, and it is time to buy a strobe for it!!!

I am new in th photography so I do know much about the external flash (even on land).

I would have some suggestions first about the "criterias" to chose it (temp. of light, angle, ttl...) then a suggestion from SP-350 user about their experiences with the different strobes.

I have read about some devices (Heinrich...) to connect the strobe to the camera....what they do, and I should need one?

Than (of course) a suggestion (better from SP- user) about the brand/model.

I am thinking about the Oly UFL-01, or Sea&Sea YS110.....

Thanks in advance for Your reply.

Ciao to all.
vito

Ciao Vito,
I'm Marco from Italy too..... Centre of Italy:wink:
They're two years that I use an SP350 with PT030.
At the biginning w/out ext. strobe, than with a Sea&sea Ys27 and in the last 11 months with an INON Z-240 in TTL with an Henrick adaptor and "now" I'm very happy! :)
I love macro and INON (in my opinion) is fantastic for this use.
For the limited use possible in wide angle (I don't have add WA lens) the strobe works really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom