Suggestion for a BP/W setup that can carry me for the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of those choices, probably the XDeep. Of course, make sure you select the right BP material and wing size for your type of diving, exposure protection, and tanks. For my drysuit diving, I was happy starting with my Halcyon stainless BP and single 40 wing and single tank adapter that I seamlessly added a double 40 wing to when I started diving doubles. I’ve since started using an Aluminum BP with the doubles to reduce weight, so now I have both single and double rigs. Amazing how the gear multiplies.

Weight pouches are convenient for single tank (though if you have a canister light, the long Apeks style pouches could be an annoyance by the looks of things).

One thing that concerns me about the Apeks wing from pure observation and not personal experience is the low-profile hip dump valve, which may be hard to find with bulky gloves on and may be hard to replace if you ever need to. You will be taught to mainly use the hip dump in GUE Fundamentals, and a standard dump valve makes it easier to find the little string to pull on.

Have you read the GUE Equipment Configuration description? Here: Standards - Appendix A & B

So long as the "backplate system" meets these broad requirements, you should be fine. No need to buy Halcyon. No need to buy something more complex than what is described; for example, don't waste money on something with pockets or padding and then remove the pockets and padding.

1. Backplate system:
    1. Is held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing is adjustable and uses a buckle to secure the system at the waist.
    2. A crotch strap is attached and looped through the waistband to prevent the system from riding up a diver’s back.
    3. The continuous webbing must support five D-rings;
      1. The first placed at the left hip
      2. The second placed in line with a diver’s right collarbone
      3. The third placed in line with the diver’s left collarbone
      4. The fourth and fifth are placed on the front and back of the crotch strap when divers plan to use advanced equipment such as DPVs.
  2. The harness below the diver’s arms has small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of backup lights. The webbing and system retains a minimalist approach.

Thanks everybody for their suggestions!
From what I've gathered and understood there are some thing that I should keep in my mind:
1) I will probably need a setup for doubles (at this moment I'm more inclined to continue for a bit with a single tank), in that case I should be able to switch the wings while keeping the same BP (or buy another setup dedicated)
2) If I want to apply for GUE Fundamentals I must comply to those requirements (and from what I understand any of the BP/W setups in my post should be fine, with a slighty edge for XDeep and Tecline ones)
From these observations I think that I'm gonna go for the XDeep one! If I'm not mistaken anything it should be a good choice for what I'm searching!
Thanks again! Feel free to comment, I'm gonna wait a little bit before making a purchase, so I will still read any suggestions! :)

Thanks everybody for their suggestions!
From what I've gathered and understood there are some thing that I should keep in my mind:
1) I will probably need a setup for doubles (at this moment I'm more inclined to continue for a bit with a single tank), in that case I should be able to switch the wings while keeping the same BP (or buy another setup dedicated). . .

I dive aluminum singles in tropical water with a wetsuit, aluminum doubles in tropical water with a wetsuit or drysuit, and steel doubles in caves with a drysuit, and if you eventually start doing varied kinds of diving like this, you will eventually acquire more than one BP and more than one wing. Maybe a steel backplate for the aluminum tanks, and an aluminum backplate for the steel tanks. Two BPs is convenient for avoiding having to adjust the harness to fit you in wetsuit versus drysuit. For now, buy what you intend to dive with in the immediate future.

The best choice of backplate will greatly depend on your typical environment (water temps, fresh/salt) and exposure requirements (drysuit or wetsuit). Others are correct that it's no big deal to swap between a singles and doubles wing, but the choice of backplate material can have a significant impact on the amount of lead you need to carry in either situation. (Choice of single tank and doubles tank also has a huge impact.) However, don't overthink it -- a second plate & harness can be had starting at about USD125 when you get tired of using a plate that is not as well matched to your less common diving scenarios.

I highly recommend you explore these options with the Optimal Buoyancy Calculator. A skeletonized AL plate (e.g., Mares XR) is about 0.7 kg negatively buoyant. A typical 3mm stainless plate is around 2.3 kg negative. A heavy, 6mm stainless plate (e.g., Subgravity) can be 4.6 kg.

1) I will probably need a setup for doubles (at this moment I'm more inclined to continue for a bit with a single tank), in that case I should be able to switch the wings while keeping the same BP (or buy another setup dedicated)

A single plate can easily do both, just use a STA (Single Tank Adapter) instead of cambands that thread through the plate since not all plates have slots for them. This means the doubles and the STA attach the same way (two bolts with wignuts). I would recommend a steel plate as you will likely be diving with non-ditchable weight if you go the GUE route.

Edit: One more observation re GUE - the local instructors here very strongly push you to dive doubles all the time, so if your crowd is similar you may find you never use the singles setup at all once you transition.

From these observations I think that I'm gonna go for the XDeep one! If I'm not mistaken anything it should be a good choice for what I'm searching!

Since you're in Europe consider DTD as well, they seem to have nice equipment at cheap prices. I bought one of their plates from Spain (Gidivestore) since it had a neat gimmick - extra slots for optional weight pockets on the back of the plate when diving singles.

If you have an idea of what instructor you want for Fundies consider emailing or calling them and asking for some equipment advice, it might be a good "litmus test" to see if they're willing to support you, not all instructors have the same attitude/approachability.

Generally for a GUE friendly BP&W you want to stay away from extra padding, strange attached pockets, or non-standard dump valve locations, sizes. Your wing should also use a normal K-Type inflator and not some oddball design.

I started out swapping back and forth because that was the universally-recommended skill to round out my diver proficiency goals. Eventually I bought a second BP to have separate, dedicated ST and twinset rigs.

Everyone is right about the STA making life easier when rigging for single tank diving. However, I got tired of switching back and forth because my xDeep rec rig used (uses) a hex bolt and Nylock nut for the STA which means I had to fish for tools to swap out. A first world inconvenience, for sure. I looked for bolt and wingnut or thumbwheel hardware to make it easier, didn’t find what I wanted in SS (metric, smooth carriage head with a square anchor shank to fit the xDeep) so I just ended up springing for a second plate and harness to have separate rigs.

Since you’re starting down the tech path, there’s value in swapping your BP and wings back and forth for a while because you’ll really get to know your kit in a useful way.

The xDeep is a great choice, IMO. I’m using their wings for both recreational and technical diving with aluminum and steel tanks.

You use the same plate and harness for both singles and doubles, only the wing changes.
For singles you use a small donut wing with a STA or use the cam band slots through the plate and no STA.
For doubles you change the wing to a wider doubles wing and it gets sandwiched in between the plate and doubles set. The threads going through the doubles bands go through the wing holes and plate on 11” center holes and either wing nut on or use bolts.
It takes less that five minutes to change out.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom