Suggested Experience Level for TX Flower Gardens Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmyersfam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A group of us are planning a trip to the TX Flower Gardens in early spring. We will all have 30+ dives by then and all have our AOW and Nitrox. What is the recommended experience level for a trip the the FG?

Your training is more than adequate. So now it is more a matter of comfort and competense. I've seen very new divers do just fine and experienced divers have problems. If the seas are good, it can be like a big lake. If rough seas, strong currents, 100 miles to land, and minimum DM assistance makes you uncomfortable, you could have problems. But if you are ready to follow instructions on how to deal with conditions and be self sufficient divers, you should all have a great time.

Conditions tend to be best in July and August. You might want to consider waiting.

awap once bubbled...
Your training is more than adequate.

Conditions tend to be best in July and August. You might want to consider waiting.

Good advice, to be sure, that - I wouldn't take.

A Lubbock Texas group went to the FG last spring and is thinking about going back this coming spring. Conditions for almost all U.S. waters tend to be better in July and August, but I'm going to be in some state's waters in the spring; I'm not waiting. So maybe it's how bad do you want it.

But then, I'm a "whatever it takes" guy. Another thing for me is booking non-refund tickets, then have the trip canceled, maybe only after I've flown in. At least you're driving range.

But with your training and experience, I'd suggest that you're ready for the exposure. If it's rough out, that's part of the adventure. I'm still kickin' and dancin', so my worst dives have been better than not diving.

Have fun... :zorro:

divers I've seen on FG trips...no saltwater or boat experience, and 4-10 logged dives...

Pay attention to dive briefings and how lines are running from various part of the boat. Don't get under the hull or ladders...bad juju there. Proper boarding technique is a good thing to learn.

If your nav skills aren't great, don't wander too far from the mooring line. There's plenty of stuff to see without going 1/4 mile from the boat. But, with 30 divers in the water, it's pretty hard to lose sight of someone that can point you back in the right direction.

You'll do fine.

You'll do just fine. Download all the material from your operator's web site. That will be most informative. Pay ATTENTION TO THE DIVE BRIEFING!! Stay on top of the weather before the dive, you may wish to consider seasick meds if you are so prone. Have a great time. I'm going my self this Friday on the Fling.

Hey Cudabait,

I'd love to hear how your trip went. What seasick meds are recommened? All I've ever used is Dramanime (sp?) and that makes you very sleepy.

Yeah, if you get sick on a live-aboard, you don't have a lot of options. Here's a link to a discussion that could help...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36183 :puke:

I usually donb't worry, but for this trip - I'd take preventatives before I even boarded.

Have a blast out there...!! :balloon: Don

They also will give a briefing on the boat about being sick and a quick demo of how to use a trash baggy just in case.

Becareful of the ladders as mentioned above, I would also sug a pair of gloves. Pay attention to your air and be conservative as you may have to wait your turn to get back on the boat.

Jimmy,

I'll post a report of some kind, By the way, if you are prone to sea sickness, I would consider the "scop" patches that go behind your ear. Need a Dr's script. Put it on before you leave, take it off when you get home. They are probably the best you can get here. There is another great oral but it is available only in England.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom