Suggest a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

by your question (& it's placement in the boating section) it sounds like you are looking to buy a boat to charter for divers?
If that is the case, this is a WAY open ended question. While not yet a diver, I am a vet around boats. As my signature states, I hold a 200 ton license and have been boating since I was 8 (wellllll over 40 years ago).
Lets get some questions down...
Where do you wish to use this boat? Different regions have different weather and conditions to consider.
What captains licenses do you or your captains hold? Or, a related question, how many people do you wish to take out?
How long do you expect your trips to be in miles and in hours?
There will be more questions based upon your answer (& based upon if my original assumption was correct)

Your assumption was right, sir.
I want a boat that can take up, lets say 30 fully dressed divers for day trips. It's meant to be used in South Florida area. Licenses requirements, well whatever it takes, I'll get it. Price is whatever it takes.

Maybe you would be kind enough to break down the different licenses and requirements for a USA newbie ? What takes what to drive? Got licenses for Europe and Scandinavia but not for USA.

Thank you!

From the USCG website. You'll need the Master 100 ton license for that many customers.

USCG Licensing

You'll need 720 days of sea service for a place like Florida. That's the biggest hurdle, and the one I'm currently working on. :D

I'm sure the other captains will chime in here for more help.

Sea service is always a sticky point. I own my own boat and make the service time easily but don't always log my time... Because I own my boat they don't/cant ask for verification. The form looks for days at sea broken down by month. So you don't need daily detail. And time aboard a boat anywhere in the world qualifies as long as it isn't tied up when you are aboard. You will also need a clean drug test. And your license will be issued based upon the size of the boat your sea service was on. My first license was 25 tons. It has been upgraded with every renewal.
The test is broken up in 4 basic sections (if I remember correctly).
1- deck general. In this section you will need to know things like the make-up of spring-lay, how to stack cargo, hawser usage, etc. Things you will NEVER use but is required because larger ship captains hold the same license.
2- Rules of the road. 20 questions, but you are allowed only 2 wrong. And... there are about 2,000 questions to study. So you need to know 1,998 cold.
3- safety- the weight of a class b fire extinguisher when empty, full, what the spray is for on a fire hose vs the full flow. Shock, hypothermia, CPR.
4- Navigation. They will give you a chart of an area you are not familiar with (I had Fowey (sp?) rocks in FL) and 10 hypothetical questions. You will have to plot your course and answer a multiple choice question & your plotted answer will never be a choice & to make matters worse, my answers always plotted between 2 choices until I replotted a second time! bring a VERY sharp pencil for this. I used the thinnest drafting pencil I could buy. The thickness of the point can throw you off on a long plot. (if you are lucky you will get the LI sound or the Chesapeake bay. They are relatively small charts)

The best advise I can give you is to sign up for a qualified reputable school for this purpose. If sea school is in your area your search is over. They have a great relationship with the CG and get all the test questions and other info so they can fine-tune your studies to pass. The CG doesn't want everyone to pass so it's tough. The good news is if you fail 2 of the 4 sections you need only repeat the failed sections. Also the test is open book. And they supply the books, but this is really not an option. the CFR books provided will total close to 30 volumes and is just not practical for anything but the most basic look-up (which you should already know).

The boat. I cannot recommend enough considering a downeaster (just like Billy Joel's song). These are also known as lobster boats. Here are a few reasons.
1- no gel coat. The coating is a type of paint that is durable, easy to maintain and hard to damage. Also made to be banged and abused by pots and gear and very easy to refinish.
2- low gunwales. Designed for a lobsterman to have easy access to his gear, this is also convenient with any type of equipment (the downside is people need to stay clear of the gunwales or be careful-but you can have a removable railing installed.
3- a keel. This is not a displacement hull. As such it will plow through almost anything the sea can throw at you. Surely conditions much worse that anyone would dive in, but should a squall come up at least you know you can handle it safely. Also the keel will knock aside much underwater flotsam and save your running gear.
4- they are cheaper to buy and easy to customize.
Just make sure you chose a diesel power plant. Gas is not an option.

Again, how far do you think you will be running? A good downeaster builder will start with a hull then work with you adding what you want from the type of engine(s) to the type of steering wheel you want. Window placement, benches, pumps, electrical, cabin size and placement. Etc.

Purely from a user perspective, the best dive boats I've ever been on have all been Newton's.

... It's meant to be used in South Florida area. Licenses requirements, well whatever it takes, I'll get it. Price is whatever it takes.
Sounds like you most likely have the sea time taken care of. You will just have to document it on the CG approved forms. Most people down here go through Sea Shcool to prep for the test. It would be very difficult to pass the test otherwise. You will also have to get fingerprinted, take a drug test & get a physical. Sea school will guide you through all this too.

Sounds like you most likely have the sea time taken care of. QUOTE]
Seatime aboard a vessel not owned by you will need to be verified on a form signed by the vessels owner or the captain.

Here is the sea service form: http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/download-docs/cg719s.pdf

you should find almost everything else you need in the link provided by dannobee. Also, call your local seaschool. I have my license now for almost 25 years. Things have changed and I've forgotten a lot.
But just remember, many licenses have restrictions and wont cover what you are looking for. Sea School again will be happy to help.
By the way, the test, at least when I took it, for the masters license was very similar to the 6 pack license. Just more of that deck general stuff that is pretty easy to remember. The Navigation/plotting, rules of the road & safety are the same.
Also, US rules of the road differ a little from the international rules. We have a few different light patterns designed specifically for the Mississippi and the US doesn't recognize a CBD. Any vessel constrained by draft must follow all rules of other vessels with no privileges. The CBD markers or light patterns are not recognized.

SkipperJohn:
Seatime aboard a vessel not owned by you will need to be verified on a form signed by the vessels owner or the captain.
They keep making it more difficult :D. I got mine many years ago. If my memory serves me correctly we only needed it to be signed by a witness...but did not have to be the vessel owner or captain. Plus we could go back in time as far as we needed to document the seatime but now it has to be within the last 3 years.

By the way, the test, at least when I took it, for the masters license was very similar to the 6 pack license. Just more of that deck general stuff that is pretty easy to remember. The Navigation/plotting, rules of the road & safety are the same.

I've heard that too, and was advised by a few captains to skip the six pack and go straight for the tonnage rating. Obviously, the OP's going to need a tonnage rating to haul around that many people, but others viewing this thread might want to know.

Back
Top Bottom