Suddenly gained Fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like people have covered the basics of many things that can induce panic.

One thing I'm not sure anyone has covered is, are you getting enough air? IOW's sometimes turning down the reg setting results in less air, and that can lead to problems.

If your reg is tuned well and you are able to breath easily, than next steps are to make sure you are hydrated (increased exercise can lead to dehydration), are you well rested, are you under stress, are you taking even over the counter medication (like sudefed) that tends to make people jumpy or alter moods.

What I'm suggesting is that after 140 no problem dives, now you have three that have been problems. So what has changed? Certainly being fit should not be a factor, however it can lead to some other things that might be. RU getting cold? Find what has changed, and that may lead you to determine the problem.

Fish_Whisperer:
Right on, Ber :thumb: These were exactly the points I was trying to make.

Okay: Maybe in the future, when you first feel that creeping feeling in the pit of your stomach, use that very feeling as YOUR CUE to check your breathing and consciously make it nice and slow. Focus ONLY on your breathing. STOP whatever else you're doing, and JUST. BREATHE. Nice and deep... No hurry... Just mellow out, let all of your muscles go limp, and just RELAX... From your new position of calm control, you can proceed with whatever else you were doing. Be honest with your dive buddy and tell him/her: "Hey, I've had the jitters, lately. Keep an eye on me." There's no shame in that.

Excellent!
Breathing is the ticket. If your concentration is upon your breathing... smooth, full exhalations, regular rhythm, then you won't panic or get otherwise untidy.
:D

Along the line of what Ron is saying. Are you mixing medications--OTC, prescription, herbal, etc? I found out the hard way that I should not combine seasick meds and Sudafed when diving, that combination does weird things to my mind under pressure.
Ber :lilbunny:

Embrace the attack. Realize it is happening and focus on something else. Use it as a trigger to immediately do something else. First, breathe deeply and exhale completely 3 or 4 times. Then do a complete systems and gauge check. Establish yourself as being back in control. Find your buddy and write a note on a slate. This will change your focus and calm you down.

Dave

Thanks to everybody for your advice.:D

I will get my equipment checked over just in case and will invest in a slate. if this does happen again I will concentrate perhaps on writing something to let my buddy know and hopefully it will go away by the time I have finished writing.

Awareness is the key factor here and I will probably do some additional courses now that we will be living on a Caribbean island so hopefully that again will be something new to think about and should resolve the issue.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom