Sudden & Permanent Hearing Loss -SSHL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys,

I am not a scuba diver and suffered from similar condition.

I was wondering if you are still going to swimming pools or going on very short dive swimming pool level dives or did you cut on everything water-related (I guess not ) ?

So I was normally swimming and it was all good.I have actually read you can use ear plugs both for swimming and diving which are used mostly by people who are prone to infection but which, I suppose, can help or nullify the effect of the pressure (I am actually going to learn to swim, so these are all first times for me).

What was your exact diagnosis?

Best regards,
DDM

Sudden hearing loss most likely, it's a little known condition anyway, so no doctors actually said much about chances of recovery and what I could and should not do.

Actually at the hospital they proposed me a surgery, which was crazy as you don't treat this condition with a surgery.
Hospitals here get money from surgeries, so the lingering doubt was they were peddling it around to get some funds, which is really sad.
I read around a (American) source explicitly denouncing a German hospital for treating SHL with surgery so I refused.

I have read anyway it would be wise to avoid scuba diving, though it didn't say anything on whether you could eventually do that with ear plugs, or do it on shallower swimming pool waters.

Back
Top Bottom