Sudafed - Illegal in Mexico!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasscuba

Reaction score
I just returned from Cozumel and had a chance to have lunch with the America Consular, Anne Harris. She advised me that Pseudoephedrine, also know as sudafed, was a controlled substance in Mexico. 1-3 years in a mexican prison. She told that she just found out a few months ago when an america was arrested at the airport while trying to leave and sudafed was discovered in her bags.

Just wanted to send out the warning.

TS

:sniper: :mgun:

Sorry everyone for leaving the 'n' off american in my last post.

TS

:upset:

Texasscuba once bubbled...
I just returned from Cozumel and had a chance to have lunch with the America Consular, Anne Harris. She advised me that Pseudoephedrine, also know as sudafed, was a controlled substance in Mexico. 1-3 years in a mexican prison. She told that she just found out a few months ago when an america was arrested at the airport while trying to leave and sudafed was discovered in her bags.

Just wanted to send out the warning.

Are you sure about that? If is is so, it is a very recent development. I have bought pseudoephedrine OTC on Cozumel.

Like how many suitcases stuffed full of SudaFed the guy had?

I've heard that it's illegal to possess or sell SudaFed in large quantities here in California, but unless you are trying to run a meth lab you aren't going to hit those limits.

The consular told me that the person arrested had the sudafed for diving, so I take from that she had a box or two (just a guess). She brought it from the US. I had two boxes with me until I tossed them before leaving for the airport. I don't think they are looking for sudafed, but why take the chance.

I'm just passing on info, do with it what you want.

TS

does anyone know of anything else that you should'nt bring to mexico? (besides the obvious things like Guns, etc):confused:

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Like how many suitcases stuffed full of SudaFed the guy had?

I've heard that it's illegal to possess or sell SudaFed in large quantities here in California, but unless you are trying to run a meth lab you aren't going to hit those limits.

You've got to be careful of how much of the stuff you carry here in Oklahoma.........we like our Meth and the feds are on the lookout for large SudaFed transporters.

Don't know why our state is so "high" on the list for meth labs but they sure like in the southern part of the state. I had client several years ago in SW OK that we discussed starting a drug testing program for his work force. No dice he said, he would have to replace over half of his EE's. Nice place to work!

I did a bunch of googling on Mexico and pseudoephedrine, and I got a bunch of DEA stuff about bulk shipments of pseudoephedrine and ephedrine going to Mexican meth labs, but nothing at all about tourists having troubles over consumer quantities. In fact, every one of them mentioned the legitimate OTC usage of pseudoephedrine, and how the efforts at controlling its availability to drug labs specifically exempt it.

I'm still looking into it, as I certainly don't want to run afoul of the drug laws when I visit Mexico, but I will be very much surprised if having enough Sudafed on hand for personal use on a dive trip turns out to be a problem.

Film at eleven.

I can't imagine that you would get hassled for having small amounts for personal use even if some of what has been posted is true. I have always taken SudaFed diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom