Such thing as a tank too small?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chefchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I came across a steel HP 80, I know it would be perfect for my petit girlfriend, but I'm 160 and 5'11. Big by no means, but was just wondering if having a tank that small would cause any problems or any other dissadvantages. I thought about buying two and using them for doubles, but for now i would just use a single.

If i'm correct, a steel HP 80 stands at just under 20".

Thanks,
Chris

MY girlfriend (5'3", 110#) is about to double up her HP80s. I know they'd be horrible for me (6'0") and would almost certainly put me on my head. As singles, they're ok to trim out, but I strongly prefer a longer cylinder. That said, they're quite nice for shore dives (small and light).

The only down side I can see is that if you have it mounted where you can reach your valve, it may cause you to be a bit top heavy and impart a head down trim position.

Those are nice little tanks to double up, however.

the K

chefchris:
I came across a steel HP 80, I know it would be perfect for my petit girlfriend, but I'm 160 and 5'11. Big by no means, but was just wondering if having a tank that small would cause any problems or any other dissadvantages. I thought about buying two and using them for doubles, but for now i would just use a single.

Thanks,
Chris
I have a dive buddy who dives the HP 80, and I dive the HP 100, it is interesting to note that when we surface, our air pressure is usually within 100 lbs. of each other. Women generally have a lower SAC rate for obvious reasons... get the HP 80's for her and counter them with HP 100's for you (Yes, it's a lot more expensive but, if you get the 80's for yourself, she will most likely out breathe you on your dives)

my .02 psi

I saw an HP 65 at a dive shop last weekend, that I thought would just look funny one someones back. It looked like a coffee can. Not sure how it would affect trim though.

Phil

Not too small but you'll have to figure out your trim.

chefchris:

Thanks,
Chris

Yeah, the newer style HP80s are very short tanks. They work well for smaller framed people. In fact, my kid dives one ...it's nearly perfect for him.

For average to larger sized people, however, trimming them out properly becomes a little problematic. Doubling them up just aggravates the problem. They become extremely head heavy.

Back
Top Bottom