Successful diver resue in Cayman......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice to have read everyone came out ok.

laryngospasm and "dry-drowning"... learning something new today.

A good read, especially since I'm almost done with the PADI Rescue Diver course. Makes it all the more important to realize that even though you hope you never ever have to use any of those skills, you need to keep up with them, and it's really good to know them.

"....The woman, who, along with her dive buddy has asked not to be named, got into trouble at around 90 feet during a routine dive...."

It is important for divers of all levels, wether a dive is to 20 ft for lobster, or a wreck at 150 ft , to remember we are entering an environment that does not support human life. No dive should be considered routine; **** happens and complacancy (sp??) kills.

I am glad this story ended well. Never stop learning, have fun, dive safe and Dive A.L.I.V.E.

trtldvr

www.divealive.org

enjoyingthesun:
http://www.caymannetnews.com/news-1232--1-1--.html

Nice to be able to post a good news story from over here.

...of this rescue would make for interesting & informative reading. Does anyone know her or is she a member of this fraternity? I'm always interested in a detailed account of actions taken; as a learning tool, the information is invaluable.

Regards,
DSD

DeepSeaDan:
...of this rescue would make for interesting & informative reading. Does anyone know her or is she a member of this fraternity? I'm always interested in a detailed account of actions taken; as a learning tool, the information is invaluable.

Regards,
DSD
I know the woman and crew that had the accident and her situation is exactly what is stated in the article. All I know is hearsay from a mutual friend. The only thing left out is that she was biting hard on her mouthpiece which cause water to come in on an inhale causing the spasm. She was also only at 70 feet according to her not 90. She is not a member of this board and wants to remain annonymous. Everyone is going to be fine. Jennie did an amazing job and risked her own life to save another. In return she took a hit but saved a life.

I'm still pretty new at this, and trying to figure out whether this 'dry drowning' thing is just a fancy term for inhaling a little bit water and then coughing until the bit of water has more or less been cleared from your lungs/throat?

or for another possible description (a land version), like when you aren't paying attention when you're talking and try to swallow excess saliva, but it 'goes down the wrong tube' and you end up coughing and looking a bit foolish?

would something like this be solvable at depth? meaning, as long as she doesn't panic, would she be able to cough any water out and continue the dive?

sorry for the poor description :-\

RowingMunkeyCU:
I'm still pretty new at this, and trying to figure out whether this 'dry drowning' thing is just a fancy term for inhaling a little bit water and then coughing until the bit of water has more or less been cleared from your lungs/throat?

or for another possible description (a land version), like when you aren't paying attention when you're talking and try to swallow excess saliva, but it 'goes down the wrong tube' and you end up coughing and looking a bit foolish?

would something like this be solvable at depth? meaning, as long as she doesn't panic, would she be able to cough any water out and continue the dive?

sorry for the poor description :-\

I get what you’re saying.

The spasm, from what I understand closes the Larynx and won't allow you to breathe in. Air can be forced out however. I had a situation when I inhaled a small amount of liquid and this happened. I though I would die. I wasn't diving thank god. As I coughed, I could not breathe in and I just emptied my lungs and started seeing stars. I almost past out when I finally got in a small breath and over a few minutes the spasm subsided. Maybe one of the Docs here can describe the physiological response but I know what it feels like. I never considered it happening on a dive but I see the problem.

What little I know she was biting on her mouthpiece and caused some water to come in, as she inhaled it started her choking and shut her airway down. As she struggled for air she only emptied her lungs and that probably saved her from getting an embolism. As she lost consciousness and was taken to the surface I assume the spasm cleared and she was able to breathe again.

This is a lot of speculation as I wasn’t there and only heard third party information.

Back
Top Bottom