Success! Finally sync'd my Smart Tec to a Mac!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orange_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey frustrated mac users and smart tec owners:

I know some of us have been trying to do this for quite some time without success, but i've recently been able to come up with a solution. Forgive me if this has been posted in another thread, but if anyone is interested here is what has allowed me to sync my mac with my smart tec:

MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo -- you need the intel processors so you can run...
Parallels -- a windows emulating software so you can install and run...
Windows XP Professional (other Windows OS's may work too) -- so you can run...
Smartrak -- and get it to recognize your...
USB-IRDA Adapter. In my case i bought a $10 one off ebay that had the Sigmatel 4200 chip inside it. Bought it from Meritline e-auctions-express and they call it "Smallest New USB to IrDA Wireless". The new $70 scubapro one is not necessary and is WAY overpriced.

After much frustration, primarily because i am a mac (almost) genius but a complete Windows NOOB, and after many windows XP updates, i managed to get the USB-IRDA adapter recognized by Parallels and Windows XP and after that my Smart Tec sync'd up without a hitch and i was able to download a year's worth of dive info.

If anyone needs any help with any of this feel free to post questions ot this thread or PM me.

Hope this helps.

A.

I figured you solved the problem with a working IrDa, not by installing and running Windows. :)

Oh well, back to the IrDA Quest!

A German company has a program out called JTrak which supposedly works with many usb irDa adapters and is made for the mac. There's a list on the website of supported irDa adapters.

http://www.frobese.de/JTrak/en/jtrak.html

I personally haven't tried it out. Been wanting to but haven't looked for the adapter yet. A frequent customer here has though and she told me it works great. I don't know what specific adapter she used though.

MantaRey:
A German company has a program out called JTrak which supposedly works with many usb irDa adapters and is made for the mac. There's a list on the website of supported irDa adapters.

I personally haven't tried it out. Been wanting to but haven't looked for the adapter yet. A frequent customer here has though and she told me it works great. I don't know what specific adapter she used though.

JTrak is specifically for Mac and works really well. But the downside is that it is lacking many of the features that make Smart Trak such a good dive log. If only Uwatec and Johnson would wake up and smell the roses and support the Mac community a little better...

evil_xander:
I figured you solved the problem with a working IrDa, not by installing and running Windows. :)

Oh well, back to the IrDA Quest!

sadly, no. good luck with your quest, i can't fight that windmill anymore! :)

MantaRey:

like many others i tried in vain to find a usb irda adapter that would recognize the smart tec and let me use jtrak. going windoze was the only way for me.

a.

Back
Top Bottom