Subsurface, Photos and Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A dive trip ago, I discovered the Media feature in Subsurface, which allows adding Photos and Videos into Subsurface and having them appear in a dive graph. With the feature in mind, I decided to try my hand at doing some citizen science, i.e. take photos of critters and provide as much info as I could, like date, time, dive site location and depth, for scientists to use.

Getting the depth information is what's eluding me. I can hover over a photo with the pointer and get it to enlarge, but I can't get the depth "exactly" when I took the photo. The depth is updated as I move the pointer, so I'm getting the depth under the pointer, not of when the photo was taken. I want the depth at the timestamp of when the photo was taken.

Is there a way in Subsurface for me to see the depth of a photo based on the timestamp of the photo?

Right click on the photo and click "add setpoint change" or "add bookmark".

A little yellow triangle or dive flag will appear directly below the photo almost right on to of the depth graph. Perhaps not exact but close enough.

Right click on the photo and click "add setpoint change" or "add bookmark".

A little yellow triangle or dive flag will appear directly below the photo almost right on to of the depth graph. Perhaps not exact but close enough.

Thanks for the tip, but when I hover over the dive flag bookmark, it still changes value over a range in the graph.

Since I sync'ed the time between the dive computer and the camera, I was hoping that the depth could be shown "exactly" when the photo was taken.

When I hover over the newly placed dive flag/bookmark nothing happens. I can estimate the depth of the photo to within about 5' or so. I don't think you'll be able to get it closer than that unless you zoom way in, capture it as a screen shot, print it out and use a ruler to measure and place more precise markings on the graph.

Since the dive computer sampling is already 20 or 30 seconds (depending on which dive computer I'm looking at), I already know it's not going to be precise, but being able to get the depth at the photo timestamp would be at least closer than hovering, I'm hoping.

I laid a mm ruler against my subsurface logbook screen and using the provided markings and simply dividing them up into equal segments I was able to figure out the depth at the picture location to the nearest foot.

Not only is sampling rate going to effect the result along with the "ruler against the screen" method but odds are your dive computer time and your camera time are not going to be exactly the same either. You're going to have to accept some slop in the numbers. Only way to get around that is to check your depth during the dive at the exact moment that you snap a picture. Or take a second picture of the face of your computer showing the depth.

I'm willing to accept slop in the data. I don't think I have a choice given how infrequently the data was sampled. I'm just looking for a way to get the depth at the photo timestamp, to minimize the slop of just hovering the pointer.

Somebody in the past had exactly that problem. To this end, an option „export image depths“ was added to the dive export menu. This writes. File listing all the images and their corresponding depths.

Somebody in the past had exactly that problem. To this end, an option „export image depths“ was added to the dive export menu. This writes. File listing all the images and their corresponding depths.

Nice! This will do for now. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom