SubSurface and the new Deep6 Excursion firmware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rhwestfall

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any initiative or timeline for the new deep6 Excursion (firmware re-write) to be included in SubSurface supported devices? I've delayed upgrading from the current firmware due to wanting logging support.

Thanks.

hmm, I've tried the sys reset, but still no luck. I can only find it on my android device, and subsurface tries t sync, and I see it downloading the new dive logs, however, it errors out at the end and says there are no new dives :/

Decided to give it another shot, but this time on Ubuntu Linux. Bluetooth pairing was quick and easy, no PIN even required, however once I attempted to download the dives in the sync window, I kept getting an error for each dive of "unable to parse header for dive xx" after all of the dives are rejected, a popup window is displayed saying "dive data import error." Then, some of the times I will get an error that says "no new dives downloaded from dive computer." The strange thing is that when the sync for each dive starts, the date and time are displayed next to the progress bar, so subsurface is most definitely talking to the dive computer.

For troubleshooting, I have been removing and re-adding the device from the Ubuntu Bluetooth device menu, between each attempted sync, as well as attempting different modes from the sync screen such as the 3 Bluetooth modes(Auto, Force LE, Force Classic) and checking the box for forced downloads, but none of these are successful.

After several attempts

SPECS22.04.3 LTS
Laptop OS: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Subsurface Version: 5.0.10
Excursion: 13891(as reported in subsurface after initiating sync) D01-6C (as viewed on the dive computer screen by pressing the bottom right button a few times

I will try giving it a shot on a windows 10 machine in a couple days and report back. If anyone has gotten this working on linux/ubuntu please let me know :)

@mjrascoe, in some old messages, Linus said to NOT use bonded pairing (i.e., in advance through the system bluetooth menu). Pairing "on the fly" within Subsurface has worked for me. I normally use mobile, but this is my notes for desktop:
  • avoid bonded pairing (i.e., via system menu)
  • Import | From Computer | Choose Bluetooth download mode
  • turn on the teric bluetooth mode and then do a "scan"
  • If paired, UNPAIR using right-click in the subsurface scan list then Save
  • Download
I know those last two bullets seem strange. Again, it's worked.

Subsurface Version: 5.0.10
Excursion: 13891(as reported in subsurface after initiating sync) D01-6C (as viewed on the dive computer screen by pressing the bottom right button a few times

Firmware D01-6C is the new firmware. Subsurface 5.0.10 is the latest release, which does not yet have the fixes to support this new Excursion firmware. Unfortunately there hasn't been a new subsurface release in a while, and you'll need to use a development build for now.

The link to the development builds was posted earlier (Index of /downloads/test), but it looks like those builds have been removed now.
You can also try a build from the Github actions: Actions · subsurface/subsurface
Choose one of the successful Pull Requests builds in the list (but not master), and there you can download a zip file with the Windows artifacts from that build. (Downloading the artifact does require a Github account.)

hmm, I've tried the sys reset, but still no luck. I can only find it on my android device, and subsurface tries t sync, and I see it downloading the new dive logs, however, it errors out at the end and says there are no new dives :/

Could you try my solution again? Seems to have worked for a few.

Firmware D01-6C is the new firmware. Subsurface 5.0.10 is the latest release, which does not yet have the fixes to support this new Excursion firmware. Unfortunately there hasn't been a new subsurface release in a while, and you'll need to use a development build for now.

The link to the development builds was posted earlier (Index of /downloads/test), but it looks like those builds have been removed now.
You can also try a build from the Github actions: Actions · subsurface/subsurface
Choose one of the successful Pull Requests builds in the list (but not master), and there you can download a zip file with the Windows artifacts from that build. (Downloading the artifact does require a Github account.)

I still have the working Subsurface beta installer, it needed pm me @mjrascoe

So is or is not the new deep6 firmware working with currently available Windows based Subsurface or Android platforms?

So is or is not the new deep6 firmware working with currently available Windows based Subsurface or Android platforms?
Windows release version is fine. Android release version is not.
You can install a version of the Android app to make it work however. I'll try and find mine as a download and post it here.

D01-6C (as viewed on the dive computer screen by pressing the bottom right button a few times)

Firmware D01-6C is the new firmware.

More important is the date code under the version info, as those are the subsequent builds with further code changes.

I have not tested the various applications including the ones you mentioned, but the new firmware is readable by libdivecomputer as we have submitted the relevant code, which is the core library for many logging applications. Just be patient, I am sure it will roll out and proliferate to the various apps.

More important is the date code under the version info, as those are the subsequent builds with further code changes.

I have not tested the various applications including the ones you mentioned, but the new firmware is readable by libdivecomputer as we have submitted the relevant code, which is the core library for many logging applications. Just be patient, I am sure it will roll out and proliferate to the various apps.
This is mine; how do I tell if it is the latest build?
1692754348007.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom