SubSurface and the new Deep6 Excursion firmware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rhwestfall

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any initiative or timeline for the new deep6 Excursion (firmware re-write) to be included in SubSurface supported devices? I've delayed upgrading from the current firmware due to wanting logging support.

Thanks.

Update:
I was able to get the new mobile iOS subsurface update to download my dives from my excursion with the “tech lite” firmware. I was running into some issues but with the help of Jef at libdivecomputer I was able to sort it out. Incase anyone else is having issues I’ll describe what was happening, the cause and the fix. It was not perfect but it’s a path forward and hopefully the future will not be a problem.
The issue :
I was unable to get the dives to download no matter what nightly build I used on the desktop and still no joy when the mobile update came out. I reached out to the developers on their forum and Jef asked that I send him some logs. He was able to see that the computer was saying it was the new firmware but trying to communicate like the old firmware, he said that was a known issue with some early builds. He suggested I reload the firmware and try again.
The fix:
I loaded the hacked DiveStory that works to update to the tech lite fiemware
https://deep6gear.com/firmware/com.crest.divestory_RC23.apk
I did not know if this would completely erase the memory as it did when I first loaded it, I could not download the dives anyway so figured worth the risk. After updating the firmware I did the forget all dive computers and find all Bluetooth devices in the advanced settings of subsurface and tried again.
Success…kind of.
The update did not wipe the log, the computer connected to Subsurface and dives downloaded. I have 26 dives on the DC but only 12 have loaded. What’s strange is it loaded the last dive I did, not the one from that same morning and then the previous trip. I had noticed on the trip before this last trip that there was a dive I watched the computer count down the safety stop and function as expected but later when I tried to pull up the dive on the DC log it was not there. So maybe there was another issue with that firmware and logging that is at play here. Time will tell. I can’t understand why it chose to stop at 12 dives and why it won’t download the others, some were the same trip. The oldest dive it loaded does look really strange on the log, it has two cylinders used, it’s possible I forgot to enter the correct gas before the dive and then immediately fixed it (on my primary computer shearwater) but the data looks ok on the shearwater but not excursions.
Conclusion:
Progress. I’m hopeful that the new firmware will resolve the issues moving forward and look forward to testing it.
It looks like the dive computer is reporting every sample what Subsurface has interpreted as a gas switch… to the existing gas. That is a bug worth reporting if you have not already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom