SubSurface and the new Deep6 Excursion firmware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rhwestfall

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any initiative or timeline for the new deep6 Excursion (firmware re-write) to be included in SubSurface supported devices? I've delayed upgrading from the current firmware due to wanting logging support.

Thanks.

I can’t even get the computer to show up in the Bluetooth device section now on my laptop. Going to try a few things then if I get it showing up I’ll send over the log file.

Thanks for your help!
I never noticed any problems with the device discovery or connection with my Excursion during development. Do you have activated Sync mode on the Excursion? (I assume you did, just checking to be 100% sure.)

I never noticed any problems with the device discovery or connection with my Excursion during development. Do you have activated Sync mode on the Excursion? (I assume you did, just checking to be 100% sure.)
That I have. I never had a problem with the old firmware on windows 10, on my mobile I can’t “see” under Bluetooth stettings, but dive story could see it on the original firmware. After I updated the firmware, I could see the device (although now no longer called excursion) and connect to it, but could not get subsurface to download the logs. Recently I was forced onto win11 and can’t discover the divorce in sync mode at all.

Anyway, I just realized I left the excursion at my flat in HK and forgot to take it with me to japan. Will be back in HK on the 27th and can do some more troubleshooting then.

That I have. I never had a problem with the old firmware on windows 10, on my mobile I can’t “see” under Bluetooth stettings, but dive story could see it on the original firmware. After I updated the firmware, I could see the device (although now no longer called excursion) and connect to it, but could not get subsurface to download the logs. Recently I was forced onto win11 and can’t discover the divorce in sync mode at all.
Yesterday I updated from the 05C firmware to the release candidate RC23 firmware, and after updating could no longer discover the device at all on any platform - Ubuntu, Android, or Windows. To diagnose I then tried discovery with some standard BLE tools (nRFConnect on Android, and Chrome's bluetooth-internals on Windows/Ubuntu) that have worked pretty consistently in the past even when the flaky Qt bluetooth stack in subsurface would fail.

No joy. So I tried doing a System Reset (SYS RST in the Excusion menu), and then was able to discover and connect in subsurface on Ubuntu. Haven't tried subsurface on Windows yet, but I'd say to try doing the SYS RST and see if that resolves.

I managed to get the Deep6 Excursion with latest firmware and Subsurface to work on a Windows 10 PC.

Prerequisites:

Subsurface build: subsurface-5.0.10-190-g3939cc8da28e
Download it here: Index of /downloads/test

Deep6 Excursion with latest firmware RC23 (needs android)
Download it here: https://deep6gear.com/firmware/com.crest.divestory_RC23.apk

Step 1. Power cycle the excursion using the top left power button

Step 2. Open Bluetooth settings on PC

Step 3. Add Bluetooth device > Bluetooth

Step 4. Put the Excursion in sync mode

Step 5. The Excursion should now show up in the list; connect to it and enter PIN-code "123456"
It should now say it is connected, and the sync-screen on the excursion should show it connected as well.

Step 6. Open SubSurface > Import > Import from DiveComputer > Bluetooth download mode > Select "show all devices" > it should now show the Excursion > Select Excursion and click save.

Step 7. Import the dives you need

Step 8. Delete the Excursion from your Bluetooth devices list.

You will have to do these steps everytime you import.

Et Voilà you now have imported dives from the Deep6 Excursion RC23
Now this works for me, i don't know if it will work for you every system is different.
Pictures as proof down below.

Hope this helps anyone :)

Happy diving,

Ben

Some pictures as proof:

example 3.PNG

example 1.PNG

I managed to get the Deep6 Excursion with latest firmware and Subsurface to work on a Windows 10 PC.

Prerequisites:

Subsurface build: subsurface-5.0.10-190-g3939cc8da28e
Download it here: Index of /downloads/test

Deep6 Excursion with latest firmware RC23 (needs android)
Download it here: https://deep6gear.com/firmware/com.crest.divestory_RC23.apk

Step 1. Power cycle the excursion using the top left power button

Step 2. Open Bluetooth settings on PC

Step 3. Add Bluetooth device > Bluetooth

Step 4. Put the Excursion in sync mode

Step 5. The Excursion should now show up in the list; connect to it and enter PIN-code "123456"
It should now say it is connected, and the sync-screen on the excursion should show it connected as well.

Step 6. Open SubSurface > Import > Import from DiveComputer > Bluetooth download mode > Select "show all devices" > it should now show the Excursion > Select Excursion and click save.

Step 7. Import the dives you need

Step 8. Delete the Excursion from your Bluetooth devices list.

You will have to do these steps everytime you import.

Et Voilà you now have imported dives from the Deep6 Excursion RC23
Now this works for me, i don't know if it will work for you every system is different.
Pictures as proof down below.

Hope this helps anyone :)

Happy diving,

Ben

Some pictures as proof:

View attachment 790155
View attachment 790156
@TnT

This works for me, too, on WIN11, with two concerns/questions/caveats:

(1) Build 190 is not the latest build. That concerns me. How to test build 192; I get a 403 Forbidden error.
(2) To get it to work, I have to start with a new pairing of WIN11 and the Excursion. That is, I must remove the old pairing and start a new one. Each time.

@TnT

(1) Build 190 is not the latest build. That concerns me. How to test build 192; I get a 403 Forbidden error.
(2) To get it to work, I have to start with a new pairing of WIN11 and the Excursion. That is, I must remove the old pairing and start a new one. Each time.
Point 1 and 2 are correct. But good to hear it works on a W11 system aswell.

Point 1:

I had the same issue hence why i used version .190. Seems like .190 also has the latest LDC version.

I don’t know who is developing Subsurface but if they could give us acces to those newer builds (.192). It would be even better.

I suppose we could get one of the Github versions (not master). I haven’t tested that yet.

Point 2:

Yes you will have to pair it every time. Annoying; Yes, but it only takes 20 seconds. For me for now this is fine.

I think this issue is known and they’re working on it.

Happy diving,

Ben

Edits: additional info

It's not a problem if you don't have the latest development build. Those later fixes are not related to the excursion download problem and thus won't make a difference for you. You just needed a build with the excursion fixes.

I don't know why you need to pair on Windows. On Linux I can connect and download without pairing at all. Probably something in the OS that we can't do much about. I just tested on Windows and without pairing subsurface doesn't even find the excursion when scanning for bluetooth devices.

Now that I have subsurface working on my desktop (although with the annoying WIN11 pairing issues) I'm trying on my Android. None of the builds at the link in post #34 will work for me; they "do not parse" when I try to install. Am I doing something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom