Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooh, ooh. Not really thread worthy, but does anyone remember capillary depth gauges? I ask, cause I attached one to my sea view gauge. World's first diving console. Lol

Ooh, ooh. Not really thread worthy, but does anyone remember capillary depth gauges? I ask, cause I attached one to my sea view gauge. World's first diving console. Lol

The combination compass/depth gauge I use doing 'minimalist' dives has a capillary depth gauge, very accurate at the shallow depths involved in my inlet dives, though a bit hard to read and almost useless in limited visibility.

When I used to do very deep dives (I stopped when I began to close in on my 70th birthday) I used a capillary gauge to double check the computer for the last 20 feet, depths at which my capillary gauge was accurate to within one foot. They are also wonderfully flat and items of great mystery to less experienced divers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What a relation!
Yes!
we all remember the capillary depth gauge
Yes!
we attached it to our double hoses and later the SPG

Now back on track...The introduction of the SPG to the American market by a very viable but now defunct California dive manufacturing company in the early part of the 1950s

Who? When?

SDM

I started diving in 1970 and did so without a SPG, opting to relay on the J valve due to cost.

Ya know, back in the day, lots of us started the dive with j lever down. No rod. Regs were unbalanced. When breathing got stiff time to ascend. As we ascended air became available. And those old steel 72's had marvelous buoyancy stats. Plus, no pesky safety stops.

Bought one in 1972 to use with my new fangled SPG, cutting edge!

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 11:29 AM ----------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What a relation!
Yes!
we all remember the capillary depth gauge
Yes!
we attached it to our double hoses and later the SPG

Now back on track...The introduction of the SPG to the American market by a very viable but now defunct California dive manufacturing company in the early part of the 1950s

Who? When?

SDM

Hi Sam, at some point you're just going to give us the answer. Not many scuba manufacturers back then, several were in LA. Maybe its Healthways, US Divers, or Voit?

Sportsways Sea-Vue. I think it was like 56. That is before my time and likely before but a few people on this board. Sam Lecocq was the inventor.

N

Come on boys the subject of this thread is:

Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG)

Who on this board began diving prior to the SPG introduction to the US Market?

Who on this board began diving prior to the SPG introduction to the European (world?) Market?

When did you begin your diving career?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you want o discuss vintage equipment it is suggested that you visit Vintage double hose

Currently we are still several generations removed from the introduction of the SPG.

SDM
Sorry Sam.
It's just that when people start talking about pre SPG, then the conversation goes into pre BC, then old regs with only two ports, and finally practicing minimalist diving I just get so excited I can't help myself.
I'm way to new to even be in this thread, only been at it since '98 but love the history of diving and everything about it.

Farallon, right? Maybe with a capillary depth gauge around the rim?

Gawd I loved some of the Farallon gear. Mostly cause I got certed as a kid and devoured anything scuba in my reading. I ate up catalogues. But I also loved my Farallon shotgun snorkel and my Farallon Bendomatic. If I could put hands on one of the Farallon tubes or maybe an old SP shotgun, I might consider wearing a snorkel again.
I can still put hands on my Healthways tube I carried in the straps of my Scubapro Gladius leg sheath. Fact is, I can still put hands on my gladius.
As I usually do before posting on a public forum, I try to proof. I give my word, none the apparent double entendres were intentional.

Back
Top Bottom