Submarine Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgPaddle

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All, It's been awhile since I've been on the board, but wanted to check in and say hello. Labor Day weekend, I had the most awesome wreck diving adventure thus far. Six of us from the Philadelphia Sea Horses met down in Morehead City NC for a weekend of wreck diving. We dove on 5 wrecks, the most exciting for me was the German U-boat U352. Visibility for all wrecks was between 35-45 feet and the temp between 78-81 as deep as 127'. Here I saw my first shark up close and personal. It swam between myself and a photographer at 4ft, honest. After removing my wetsuit from within my body, I saw 2 more and learned that they were sand-tiger sharks. The wrecks that we dove were: Suloide (77' deep), U352 (122' deep), Aeolis (122' deep), Papoose (127' deep), and the Indra (72' deep). The Indra was my second favorite dive. I highly highly recommend that if you have the time, visit Morehead City NC for a few wreck dives. We dove off the Olympus (boat) and the crew members were great. In fact, the captain of the boat (George) was the fellow that discovered U352 a number of years ago. The history of each of these wrecks can easily be located online.

Hope all of ya'll have had great diving summers thus far. In February, we're going ice-diving. I can't believe I'm paying to freeze, uhm, bits off...

Later Gang,

Dawgpaddle
www.otisair.com

I wish I lived closer. Twice a year to these wrecks is way too little.

Were there sharks on any of the other wrecks or just on the sub?

I truely had a blast when I was down there in June. The Aeolus was my favorite with the Caribsea coming a close second. I enjoyed the U boat but the current was ripping and I wasn't very comfortable.

Olympus is a great place. I didn't dive on the Olympus, but rather the smaller boat. We had Bobby as the captain, and Sean and Mike as divemasters [except one day where Jeff was sick and Mike went on the Olympus. That day we got... arghh.. .don't remember his name... the kid from Kansas :)]

I ended up with some pretty good shots from the U-352:

Louise, Doug, Frank & Friel vs. the U352

Mike hangs out and watches the entertainment shown in the previous shot

Diving the wrecks of North Carolina were the most fun I have ever had scuba diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recommend this dive for everyone. The sharks, the wrecks. It's got it all.

I almost wept when I got back in the boat it was so fantastic.

on these U boats, can you enter inside them, describe more detail about the dive itself

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom