Submarine Live aboard Dive "Boat".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmcdanie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A long the lines of the Ocean Tug as a dive boat....how about a modern recreation of a WWII submarine (balao class).
The divers would be trained as the crew, with professionals as the officers. 3 days training at the dock, 11 days at sea and diving locations. Let's say $2,000 per head....I can put in $20,000 towards the project. Who's with me? :)

Last edited:
One novelist on the board has written an adventure along that very storyline (except it was a Russian Kilo class.) It's available in paperback and all e-book formats.

(see sig line below)

Ok... Ok... I'm a self-promoting attention-whore...

Just ask them to retrofit an airlock onto this one. Once you have the other $77,880,000...

phoenix.jpg

U.S. Submarines

Last edited:
There is the old Atlantis submarine on the hard in Key West. Certified for 44 passengers +2 crew, it can be picked up for the price of storage. Depth rated to 50 meters, I haven't seen the old girl move since 2008, but I did see her in service before that. Here is the link to their website so you can see the ones still in service.

I used to work for Atlantis submarines once upon a lifetime. So figure all the never-ending maintenance on a surface ship, and then comound that with the need to keep it airtight down to 150'. I got the chills thinking about that 90' tug, and that just has to float - I guess Roman Abramovich could pop for this. Geez, he probably already has a sub or two in his fleet.
I think that this is a splendid idea and everyone should fork over whatever it takes. I'm exempt because I have to go up to CT yet again this week, and that is it's own special version of hell.

The WWII subs were not particularly comfortable or roomy & didn't have windows:

Submarine War Patrol Reports

Start with one of the modern tourist subs...well, that might be fun.

The authentic surroundings would be the main attraction, not to mention the bragging rights to say you are now trainned on a specific operation of a balao class submarine. The modern re-creation might be able to have a window or two but that would just be there for the weak and classtrophobic.

I would go out on it. It owuld be quite the proess to enter and exit at depth. I did a year or so on a balao class in teh navy. Clamagore ss343.

And the best of all would be that 100 men go down and 50 couples come back.

That's an old worn out Skimmer/Tuber joke, by the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom